Whitelist Email Addresses

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
spsimmons64

Postby spsimmons64 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:06 pm

Greetings All:
Using Zimbra 8.0.4_GA_5737.FOSS

I have a couple of clients who email encrypted ZIP and PDF files but they seem to get caught up in the anti-virus email. Is there any way to allow certain trusted email accounts to bypass the anti-virus so their emails go to the appropriate users? Thanks!
Shawn

6243Brianw

Postby 6243Brianw » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:09 pm

I'd first turn this on in the GUI

Home - Configure - Global Settings - Attachments, has an option to send blocked extension notification to recipient. This way you'll know when the email is blocked, however spam emails with blocked extensions will send a notification to your user.
Whitelist in SpamAssassin - ManualWhitelist - Spamassassin Wiki

su - zimbra

vi /opt/zimbra/conf/salocal.cf.in

-make addition here like

#SpamAssassin whitelist

whitelist_from *@domain.com

zmamavisdctl restart && zmmtactl restart
Then once you confirm the attachments are coming though, you could turn the notifications back off. That was just a check to make sure they were coming through. If you didnt want to do that, just send yourself some of those previously blocked attachments from an outside email that you whitelisted and tail -f /var/log/maillog | grep your@email.com
If you're looking to whitelist individual email addresses in Postfix RBL's, I wish you luck as I have not found a way yet.
Hope this helps!
spsimmons64

Postby spsimmons64 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:49 pm

[quote user="6243Brianw"]I'd first turn this on in the GUI

Home - Configure - Global Settings - Attachments, has an option to send blocked extension notification to recipient. This way you'll know when the email is blocked, however spam emails with blocked extensions will send a notification to your user.
Whitelist in SpamAssassin - ManualWhitelist - Spamassassin Wiki

su - zimbra

vi /opt/zimbra/conf/salocal.cf.in

-make addition here like

#SpamAssassin whitelist

whitelist_from *@domain.com

zmamavisdctl restart && zmmtactl restart
Then once you confirm the attachments are coming though, you could turn the notifications back off. That was just a check to make sure they were coming through. If you didnt want to do that, just send yourself some of those previously blocked attachments from an outside email that you whitelisted and tail -f /var/log/maillog | grep your@email.com
If you're looking to whitelist individual email addresses in Postfix RBL's, I wish you luck as I have not found a way yet.
Hope this helps![/QUOTE]
Thanks for all your help Brian. I added whitelist_from entry in the salocal.cf.in file and the email is still getting sent to the anti-virus. Any other ideas? Thanks.
Shawn
spsimmons64

Postby spsimmons64 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:35 am

Hello Brian:
Thanks for the quick response. I do appreciate it. I made the required modifications but the emails are still getting directed to the quarantine. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Shawn
6243Brianw

Postby 6243Brianw » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:20 am

I didn't think that whitelisting SpamAsssasisn would would for attachments but it was worth a try.
In the GUI, you could remove the blocked attachments. (Not Recommended)

Home > Configure > Global Settings > Attachments
You could also take the emails out of quarantine, here is a decent guide. Zimbra ? Releasing quarantined emails and attachments
I'm unaware of a way to make this change on a per user basis.

Return to “Administrators”