Limit outgoing messages per time

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
6233maxxer
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby 6233maxxer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:20 am

Hi.

We use our Zimbra server to send a mailing list to thousands of users.

Sadly our DSL connection is not that fast so during the delivery of these messages browsing internet in barely possible.
Is it possible to configure postfix to send, say, 10 or 20 messages per minute?

This limit should apply only to outgoing mail so it should be a configuration of postfix and not of policyd...

thanks

phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:41 am

How about using cbpolicyd?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

If you'd like to see this implemented in a future version of ZCS then please vote on Bugzilla entries 97706 & 108168
6233maxxer
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby 6233maxxer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:52 am

because, as I already wrote on the original post, I don't want to limit INBOUND connections but outgoing mails.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:52 am

[quote user="6233maxxer"]because, as I already wrote on the original post, I don't want to limit INBOUND connections but outgoing mails.[/QUOTE]Yes, I did read your initial post and I do understand the difference between Inbound & Outbound mail but I don't understand why you think Policyd is not for Outbound mail as well.
Regards

Bill

If you'd like to see this implemented in a future version of ZCS then please vote on Bugzilla entries 97706 & 108168
yasanthau
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby yasanthau » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:30 pm

How can you achieve this task with Policyd. Can you point me to any documentation? Any easy way of doing this with Policyd?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:02 am

[quote user="yasanthau"]How can you achieve this task with Policyd. Can you point me to any documentation? Any easy way of doing this with Policyd?[/QUOTE]I've already given details in my previous post and you could always search the forums and wiki for details (or even read the document on the PolicyD site).
Regards

Bill

6233maxxer
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby 6233maxxer » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:42 am

you haven't given much details but search results, which can be pretty vague!

a detail would have been to provide this link, which is the exact answer to my request.
I know you already pointed me to that page but I misread it so I thought it was not pertinent. So my fault, yes, but still you cannot say you provided details, you just reply with "search the forums" or "search the web", which is not a real answer, and not certainly details.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:43 am

[quote user="6233maxxer"]I know you already pointed me to that page but I misread it so I thought it was not pertinent. So my fault, yes, but still you cannot say you provided details, you just reply with "search the forums" or "search the web", which is not a real answer, and not certainly details.[/QUOTE]In post #2 I gave you the exact page for Outbound rate limiting, what more detail do you need? If my first post wasn't enough 'detail' then in the future I'll leave you to do the searching and get your own answer.
Regards

Bill

6233maxxer
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby 6233maxxer » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:05 am

for the record the PolicyD solution linked above is not working, at least not for what I'm looking for.

The purpose of PolicyD is to tell Postfix if it should accept or not the connection. With outgoing rate limiting policyd replies DEFER to postfix, and postfix replies 450 to the sender (ZWC or whatever client), thus failing the send. And I don't want this.
What I was looking for is described here: basically I should have a postfix accepting all the messages, which then forwards all mails to another postfix controlled by policyd.
I don't know if this can be accomplished with current zimbra configuration.

Return to “Administrators”