Jetty webapps not starting after server move

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Hivos
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby Hivos » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:24 pm

Today I copied a complete backup of /opt/zimbra from a production server (ZCS 6.0.5 FOSS on Debian Etch 32bit) to a testserver, where I had first installed a dummy copy of ZCS 6.0.5 FOSS on Debian Etch 32bit. Somehow I can't get the webapps running. After a zmcontrol start they all (zimbra, zimbraAdmin, zimlet and service webapps) get stuck at the same point as shown in /opt/zimbra/log/zmmailboxd.out :
1834 WARN  [main] log - Failed startup of context org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext@1f4bcf7{/zimlet,/opt/zimbra/jetty-6.1.22.z6/webapps/zimlet}

java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/zimbra/jetty-6.1.22.z6/webapps/zimlet/WEB-INF/web.xml (Permission denied)

The web.xml file permissions are not OK apparently. Whenever I set these to 777 and then restart zmmailboxdctl the permissions are reset to 440 before the webapps start, etc etc.
All other services are running fine by the way. What I've already tried:

chown -R zimbra:zimbra /opt/zimbra

/opt/zimbra/libexec/zmfixperms

Which doesn't solve the problem. Anyone has a clue on where to start to get this loop sorted out?

bdial
Elite member
Elite member

Postby bdial » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:38 pm

try zmfixperms --extended
Hivos
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby Hivos » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:21 pm

[quote user="bdial"]try zmfixperms --extended[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but unfortunately it didn't resolve the issue.
I've just checked the production server, and the permissions there are exactly the same, so there must be something else preventing jetty from starting the webapps. Can't find much in the logfiles either. I purged all logfiles before starting zimbra, and these are the logfiles that show up after a zmcontrol start:
clamd.log

freshclam.log

httpd_access.log

httpd_error.log

[Fri Mar 05 02:57:03 2010] [notice] Apache/2.2.14 (Unix) PHP/5.2.12 configured -- resuming normal operations

myslow.log

mysql_error.log

100305 02:55:48 mysqld started

100305 2:55:50 InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 545686891

100305 2:55:50 [Note] /opt/zimbra/mysql/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections.

Version: '5.0.87-log' socket: '/opt/zimbra/db/mysql.sock' port: 7306 Source distribution

zmlogswatch.out

zmmtaconfig.log
FYI: the httpd_error.log and mysql_error.log contain only notices, no errors. The rest appears to contain nothing useful as well.
legopost

Postby legopost » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:10 pm

The problem is that the UID and GID of "zimbra" user on new server are not the same as on old server. Just fix it.
conny

Postby conny » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:22 am

[quote user="legopost"]The problem is that the UID and GID of "zimbra" user on new server are not the same as on old server. Just fix it.[/QUOTE]
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say Thank You! I had the same problem and that hint solved it! Thanks!
mrgreiner

Re: Jetty webapps not starting after server move

Postby mrgreiner » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:05 pm

legopost wrote:The problem is that the UID and GID of "zimbra" user on new server are not the same as on old server. Just fix it.

Legopost, tks a lot. You reply just saved my server. I had a server server crash that destroyed root, but the /opt partition was salvageable. After rebuilding everything, mailbox was refusing to start and I got the answer in your post.

Tks a lot.

Return to “Administrators”