[SOLVED] Crontab Mailto problem

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
rstegman

Postby rstegman » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:14 am

I am running Zimbra OE 5.0x on Ubuntu 8.04. I am using a backup script from the Zimbra wiki. The script is being run using crontab as root. In the crontab, I have defined a email address with the the MAILTO: statement. I do not get any emails on that address. Attempting the mail command at the shell produces: The program 'mail' can be found in the following packages:

* mailx

* mailutils

Try: apt-get install

bash: mail: command not found
This is expected behavior because from the quick installation docs:Important: You cannot have any other web server, database, LDAP, or MTA server running, when you install the Zimbra software. I'm guessing that zimbra mail is not "registered" so that crontab can see it. Any suggestions?

uxbod
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby uxbod » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:53 pm

Welcome to the forums :)
apt-get install mailx
and if it does pull in another MTA then just stop it.
rstegman

Postby rstegman » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:59 pm

I added Exim4 and set it up to send system messages to smarthost Zimbra. I'm now getting the desired result. Thanks for your help.
MeneM

Postby MeneM » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:57 am

[quote user="rstegman"]I added Exim4 and set it up to send system messages to smarthost Zimbra. I'm now getting the desired result. Thanks for your help.[/QUOTE]
May I suggest using nullmailer instead of Exim4? Exim4 is a bit of a overkill for just sending email from a server to zimbra.
Nullmailer is easy on your resources ;-)

Return to “Administrators”