Problems with saving setting in Global Settings -> MTA

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
jones0610

Postby jones0610 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Thanks very much for the on-point link Marcus! It took two minutes to add Sorbs and Spamhaus, the two RBLs we use, to Zimbra. Those two clobber the vast majority of bogus MX access attempts.
This is a BIG fix for us and very much appreciated.
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby mmorse » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:09 pm

Not to beat a dead horse but to answer your 2 email messages:
Bill like many of us here is a volunteer, who's provided help in hundreds of other threads. His first reply contained "If you search the forums or wiki you'll find details of how to add an RBL via the command line." All you had to say was "I can't find it, can you provide a link?" instead it got heated / snippy... understandably you probably were under a time crunch - I'm not bashing either party - just use the 'serenity now' principle & we can all take a page out of: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
So for search fodder of future readers:

Configuring and Monitoring Postfix DNSBL - Zimbra :: Wiki

Zimbra MTA - Zimbra :: Wiki

King0770-Notes-Spam Info - Zimbra :: Wiki

The first result for 'RBL' or 'realtime blacklist' would have returned: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/administrators/33662-ubuntu-804lts-admin-gui-error-rbl-s-workaround.html

Which has zmprov mcf +zimbraMtaRestriction "reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org" as an answer in the first post from the 10th (before your bump today).
Being geeks the subtleties of communication combined with different languages added to the mix can throw us off. Bill knew the answer was out there / wanted to educate you on how to find it, and was also probably tired of answering the same question (which is not your fault of course.) At the same time you need a specific answer asap and couldn't find it. Thus much head-butting ensued. Would it have been easier for him to just give the command in the 2nd reply? Probably, but no need to provoke, just calmly re-ask for the command. If you didn't have time for the 'teach a man how to fish' vs 'just provide me the info' approach I totally get your frustration.
Treat others with respect, and everyone benefits. Put yourself in the other person's shoes: They could be under lots of pressure - when things get heated take a deep breath and reply professionally.
Now on to more important things: Did anyone get a bug filed against 6.0.1 or see if this is fixed in latest 6.0.2? I'll go test.
jones0610

Postby jones0610 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:43 pm

Thanks for contributing Mike. Your input was helpful. Simply speaking to people in a condescending manner is not. I've been participating in forums such as these before many of the users here were even born so I tend to bristle when someone tries to "educate" me in a demeaning manner.
Again, your response was very helpful and it would have been duly noted that the information was out there without needing to pull out baseball bats. I've bookmarked those pages for future use and I am very happy to have that information.
As an aside, the Ubuntu posting that you mentioned and that Marcus referenced did not fix my problem after all. It wasn't until I read the wiki that I found out that the file needed to be edited to include desired RBL sites first before they can be added via the command line. Seems to be ok now.... I'll check back later to be sure.
Interestingly, that thread also has some unfriendly comments directed at someone who did not provide enough information to suit one of this forum's users. I've noticed that a LOT in my travels here. I have to wonder why grouchy, unhelpful people would participate in a forum who's sole purpose is to provide help to folks.
In the vein of "in the other fellow's shoes": I have been a systems engineer for more decades than I want to count. I work with all sorts of network gear and open source projects. As well as pretty much every *NIX distro that ever exisied including the early '70's BSD stuff. Needless to say, I am frequently on the bleeding edge and working with stuff that I've never seen before. I will often make brief appearances at various related forums to resolve specific problems and then move on. It has never been my desire to become an expert at any application and Zimbra is no exception. I realize that many forum users are true Gurus and are there for the long term. And those folks are very much appreciated by someone like me who relies on their knowledge to keep my project moving forward. But I'm not among them and those are not my goals.
I mention this not to be defensive but simply to educate the gentle reader that some of the visitors here do not have the time or inclination to wade through mounds of information to find that one nugget we are looking for. I have way too many irons in the fire for that. I need to fix stuff quickly and get on to the next fire. Waiting weeks for a work around to a product bug just is not in my game plan.
In my work environment I am CONSTANTLY interrupted by people who need answers to their questions and to be kind, sometimes the questions are downright inane. I would love to sometimes be able to yell at them to read the manual but unfortunately, I am being paid to help everyone, including those who don't care to help themselves. That's life and there's not much I can do about it.
If I tried to change my users in the hostile manner I have experienced here, I would most likely get fired. So instead of trying to change them (which can't be done anyway) I have changed myself. I'd suggest that some on here may need a simialr attitude adjustment.
No one held a gun to that fellow's head and forced him to read and respond to my question. If someone is becoming weary of answering the same old dumb questions, there's a very easy solution for that which has nothing to do with me.
I agree with you. Getting this bug fixed is the real issue and is where productive energies should be directed. If the GUI feature had not been broken by a bug, users would not need to get under the hood in the first place.
ArcaneMagus
Elite member
Elite member

Postby ArcaneMagus » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:08 pm

If you are talking about this section of the wiki pages, that bug about needing to edit the postfix_recipient_restrictions.cf file to manually add each RBL was fixed back in 5.0.9 (I should know I'm the one that reported it).
Zimbra 6.0.x has a single line in the file that uses a variable that is populated from LDAP "%%explode reject_rbl_client VAR:zimbraMtaRestrictionRBLs%%", if you had to manually edit the file to get the blacklist working, then something is wrong. How were you verifying that it wasn't already working?
bbarrons
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby bbarrons » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:04 pm

Wow, I was on my way out the door this morning at 6 am and saw the post bumping the thread looking for info. I didnt have the 2 mins it would have taken to post the link to that thread from this weekend about rbls. I do apologize for not taking the time.... all this would have been avoided.....

Bill B
12237Dirk
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby 12237Dirk » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:06 am

[quote user="jones0610"]In my work environment I am CONSTANTLY interrupted by people who need answers to their questions and to be kind, sometimes the questions are downright inane. I would love to sometimes be able to yell at them to read the manual but unfortunately, I am being paid to help everyone, including those who don't care to help themselves. That's life and there's not much I can do about it.[/QUOTE]
I'd just like to come in on this point and mention that I also work in support and agree that its sometimes a challenge to response in a manner that the questioner would regard as appropriate, no matter what I think may be appropriate...... however, as you mention we are paid to do that.
These are community support forums, sure, some Zimbra staff visit occasionally, but for the most time, like almost all other forums out there, these are moderated by volunteers.
I just felt like pointing out that subtle but very important distinction.
The community release of Zimbra is supported by the community, and sometimes the community has a hangover or gets out of the communal bed on the wrong side. The Network Edition of Zimbra is commercial and supported by Zimbra staff, and they always get out on the right side and never have a hangover, because they're paid to be like that.

Return to “Administrators”