Instant Messenger Protocol?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
cshepherd

Postby cshepherd » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:55 pm

Hey guys,
Just wondering what protocol/program IM uses. I am using Zimbra 5.0 internally and would love to integrate Nagios alerts into Zimbra. Currently Nagios has a Jabber plugin that sends alerts to specified Jabber accounts.
Would something like this be possible with Zimbra5 as that would be great to have e-mail and IM alerts in the one place.

pcjackson

Postby pcjackson » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:34 pm

...XMPP (Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP)
cshepherd

Postby cshepherd » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:10 pm

Is there anything I have to do to Zimbra to allow an external client to connect? I noticed that Zimbra is listening on 5222, but I can't seem to make any connections on that.
I've tried the Perl XMPP module (which works with my current jabberd2) and I've also tried with PSI on Windows. Neither of them can make a connection, and I'm not too sure how to go about debugging the connection either.
zimchex

Postby zimchex » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:34 am

this">https://zimbra.dpm-net.com/home/cgolding/Public/Configure_Pidgin_for_Zimbra
this
link shows how to do it with pidgin... now if only I could figure out how to get zimbra to auto populate buddy lists...
gnyce
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby gnyce » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:14 pm

XMPP _is_ basically Jabber. So you should be able to login with an external Jabber/XMPP client, such as Pidgin, or Pandion (Windows), Exodus, etc. Once you have that worked out, you could likely integrate the nagios plugin (tho' I have not tried it).
One suggestion - use the resource of "zcs", so your web-client IM people and external-app people (e.g. Pidgin) can interoperate and see status changes, etc. So setting up the Pidgin account, use resource of "zcs"... and when adding people, I even tag zcs on the end, like this: user@domain.com/zcs
gnyce
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby gnyce » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:15 pm

make sure that XMPP is enabled on the zimbra server... there are two settings I believe... search the forum, you will be certain to find them (mmorse has to post them every so often)....
uxbod
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby uxbod » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:46 pm

To check whether IM is enabled
su - zimbra

zmprov gacf | grep XMPP
If what is returned is set to false then you can enable it with
su - zimbra

zmprov mc default zimbraFeatureIMEnabled TRUE
If you wish to allow external connections then you will need to update your DNS settings so have a read of :- http://www.zimbra.com/forums/administrators/22064-im-services.html

Return to “Administrators”