Backup/restore differences between NE and OS versions

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Ubuntu Warrior

Postby Ubuntu Warrior » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:07 am

[quote user="Russianspi"]... I'd disagree with Karl about it disqualifying Zimbra from properly using the term "Open Source". All of this however, which was the focus of Karl's blog post, doesn't seem to be your real issue with Zimbra.[/QUOTE]
Yep, it is my real issue.
[QUOTE]Your real beef with Zimbra seems to be that it is a corporation (or now a subsidiary of a corporation) that seeks profit.[/QUOTE]
No problem with profit, just the extent of the profit. Seems inhumane for organisations like Microsoft, Shell, et al (Yahoo?) to make such enormous amounts of it! Yep, I know, too much of a social democrat/liberal free-thinker but hey thats just my burden to bear. The consumer will always drive organisations to minimise the margins they make and those companies meeting that demand will be the companies of the future.
[QUOTE]Noticing your handle, "Ubuntu Warrior", I'd wager that you like Canonical's ideals more than Zimbra/Yahoo!'s. I do too. While I use Ubuntu on most computers that I own, and many that I am responsible for at work, too, I find myself wondering if Canonical can stick with its business model indefinately. How long can a corporation continue to loose money and stay in business? I hope that they can survive with their current business model, but I am sceptical.[/QUOTE]
AFAIK Canonical make reasonable amounts of money and are also in it for generating profit. We make extensive use of Ubuntu Linux throughout our business - client and server - and pay Canonical for support on some of the servers. Money I love spending because I am totally in tune with their business ethos. We also pay for commercial versions of MySQL (now owned by Sun) without a problem because our investments don't cripple us and are way below competing non-open source products. Unfortunately I can't say the same for Zimbra as it was almost the same price as Exchange (and this was with moderate bargaining with MS so I am certain they would reduce cost further if required) when we last reviewed it as a replacement for our Exchange system. The million dollar question is: How can so-called open source software cost the same as a commercial alternative? Maybe because it is not really open source at all???
[QUOTE]While I agree that profit is not necessarily the ideal motivation for writing software (open source or otherwise), it is an effective one. Even Karl, in the comments on his post that you referred to, explains this:
As for companies that sell versions of open source software, that is a long list as well: MySQL's Enterprise Edition, Red Hat and Novell's SUSE Linux desktops and Servers. I could continue, but I think you get the point.
I think that no one supporting Zimbra intends to be belligerent, but it's easy to get defensive when someone starts attacking something that you have either worked hard on or just really like. Welcome to the Zimbra Forums![/QUOTE]
Hey, don't get me wrong we use the Zimbra CE solution in our business (supporting around 80 users) and we love the product. Its just that I don't consider it open source software which should be free to use (tick), free to modify (tick), free to distribute/fork (fail) and a full product (fail).
Ever since open source was conceived people couldn't believe the business model could work but it has and will continue to flourish despite greedy profiteers, corporate scare-mongers, pseudo technocrats, etc., etc., etc.
Give the software away, sell the service.

phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:29 am

[quote user="Ubuntu Warrior"]The million dollar question is: How can so-called open source software cost the same as a commercial alternative? Maybe because it is not really open source at all???[/QUOTE]You're not paying for the Open Source version of Zimbra, you are paying for the support provided for the proprietary pieces of software that we have developed (plus the Open Source software that is in the complete Zimbra package). If you want to use the Open Source version of Zimbra, you may do that at no cost to yourself and you may modify it as you see fit within the terms of the licence.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

If you'd like to see this implemented in a future version of ZCS then please vote on Bugzilla entries 97706 & 108168
Russianspi
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby Russianspi » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:49 am

[quote user="Ubuntu Warrior"]Yep, it is my real issue.

AFAIK Canonical make reasonable amounts of money and are also in it for generating profit. We make extensive use of Ubuntu Linux throughout our business - client and server - and pay Canonical for support on some of the servers. Money I love spending because I am totally in tune with their business ethos.[/QUOTE]
OK, this is kind of petty, and I know this is a REALLY old argument but I had to throw this out. Ubuntu is not publicly traded, so no one has access to the financials, but it looks like Canonical is NOT profitable (yet) according to Mark Shuttleworth. So, I was right :p

Return to “Administrators”