logger stopped

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
lodder

logger stopped

Postby lodder » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:17 am

I was using the admin console, when i got this error:
system failure: getting database logger connection error code: 

service:FAILURE Method: GetServiceStatusRequest Details:soap:Receiver

after that i check the logs:
*** logswatch version 3.1.1 (pid:21068) started at Sun Feb 17 18:16:08 CET 2008
DBI connect('database=zimbra_logger;mysql_read_default_file=/opt/zimbra/conf/my.logger.cnf;mysql_socket=/opt/zimbra/logger/db/mysql.sock','zimbra',...) failed: Too many connections at /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmlogger line 174

Can't call method "prepare" on unblessed reference at /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmlogger line 61.

version: Release 5.0.1_GA_1902.DEBIAN4.0 DEBIAN4.0 FOSS edition
can this be solved?

Bill Brock
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

logger stopped

Postby Bill Brock » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:52 am

"Server status data not available. To see the server status, logger service must be installed."
I get this message in the Admin UI all the time. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. This has happened with ver,4.5.6 thru 5.0.2. I can use webmin to view the logs and they are always there and running. But the Admin UI seems to lose the connection. I can't find a rhyme or reason because webmin can always show me the logs.
bdial
Elite member
Elite member

logger stopped

Postby bdial » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:54 am

[quote user="Bill Brock"]"Server status data not available. To see the server status, logger service must be installed."
I get this message in the Admin UI all the time. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. This has happened with ver,4.5.6 thru 5.0.2. I can use webmin to view the logs and they are always there and running. But the Admin UI seems to lose the connection. I can't find a rhyme or reason because webmin can always show me the logs.[/QUOTE]
I don't think this is related. you're running openSuSE right? I think the problem you're encountering is this:
zimbra runs it's log rotate. it moves the /var/log/zimbra.log to an archive directory, then triies to killall -HUP syslogd so it restarts the syslog and begins a new log. Unfortunately, opensuse uses syslog-ng which doesn't respond to a sighup. Therefor the log never gets recreated, until the suse logrotate script runs that night which runs as root and knows to issue a /sbin/rcsyslog restart after it's done. This gets all the logs (including zimbra.log) going again.
the solution to this is to edit the zimbra logrotate to call /sbin/rcsyslog restart and you'll need to give zimbra sudo power for this
Mank

logger stopped

Postby Mank » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:40 pm

I am a SLES 10 user too and was seeing the problem all to often. You're right. Restarting the syslog works.
I think this should be files as a bug since SLES 10 is a supported OS for Zimbra NE.
cyberdeath

logger stopped

Postby cyberdeath » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:10 am

I am having the exact same problem with SLES 10.
[quote user="bdial"]zimbra runs it's log rotate. it moves the /var/log/zimbra.log to an archive directory, then triies to killall -HUP syslogd so it restarts the syslog and begins a new log. Unfortunately, opensuse uses syslog-ng which doesn't respond to a sighup. Therefor the log never gets recreated, until the suse logrotate script runs that night which runs as root and knows to issue a /sbin/rcsyslog restart after it's done. This gets all the logs (including zimbra.log) going again.
the solution to this is to edit the zimbra logrotate to call /sbin/rcsyslog restart and you'll need to give zimbra sudo power for this[/QUOTE]
What file am I going to need to modify to make what bdial recommended work? I'm not seeing it clearly enough by looking at my crontab. I looked through several of the files that related to logging but to no avail. Suggestions?
EDIT: After some research...I finally found out that the logrotate file is located under /etc/logrotate.d/zimbra
I modified the file and changed the following line:
killall -HUP syslogd 2> /dev/null || true

to:
sudo /sbin/rcsyslog restart 2> /dev/null || true
L. Mark Stone
Elite member
Elite member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 Network Edition

logger stopped

Postby L. Mark Stone » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:59 pm

[quote user="cyberdeath"]I am having the exact same problem with SLES 10.

What file am I going to need to modify to make what bdial recommended work? I'm not seeing it clearly enough by looking at my crontab. I looked through several of the files that related to logging but to no avail. Suggestions?
EDIT: After some research...I finally found out that the logrotate file is located under /etc/logrotate.d/zimbra

to:
[/QUOTE]
Just saw this same problem on our one-day old 5.0.4 NE SLES10 install.
Thanks for the code update.
Has anyone filed a bug report on this yet?
All the best,

Mark
cyberdeath

logger stopped

Postby cyberdeath » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:43 pm

Added bug report...I didn't see it otherwise (my apologies if it has already been reported):
Bug 26766 - SLES 10 does not properly restart logger resulting in no statistics
[quote user="cyberdeath"]...After some research...I finally found out that the logrotate file is located under /etc/logrotate.d/zimbra

to:
[/QUOTE]
I also should note I edited the /etc/sudoers file to include this (added line):
%zimbra ALL=NOPASSWD:/sbin/rcsyslog

This is required in order to make the aforementioned solution provided work.
L. Mark Stone
Elite member
Elite member

logger stopped

Postby L. Mark Stone » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:30 pm

Thanks for the update regarding /etc/sudoers; I would not have thought about that one off the bat (though I probably should have).
Thanks for filing the bug report too; FWIW I would have been happy to file one, and I've added myself as an interested party to your bug report.
P.S. If you paste the output of zmcontrol -v into your profile for the ZCS version, the Zimbra admins here will be much happier, though with a forum name of "cyberdeath" they may give you less grief than they did me a while back! ;-)
L. Mark Stone
Elite member
Elite member

logger stopped

Postby L. Mark Stone » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:11 pm

In a post above bdial reports that SuSE's syslog doesn't respond to sighup.
Have you tested your suggested way on OpenSUSE and SLES10?
I appreciate you want to have as little distro-specific code in the Zimbra deployment scripts as possible, but as a longstanding SuSE shop our experience has been that one of SuSE's core strengths is scripts. The rc scripts and all the SuSEconfig scripts are just the more common ones.
Seems to me restarting SuSE services the "SuSE way" provides a solid safety net whose benefits outweigh the costs of trying to develop/test/maintain/retest a distro-neutral methodology.
That this bug is still here on the fourth point release of Zimbra 5 to me says this kind of code doesn't get unit tested all that much, so if Zimbra elected to do things the "SuSE way" that would cut down on the testing requirements, again, at the "cost" of a little more distro-specific code.
Just my 2 cents...

All the best,

Mark
L. Mark Stone
Elite member
Elite member

logger stopped

Postby L. Mark Stone » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:11 pm

You are absolutely right to call me on my "SuSE's syslog" comment; poor wording on my choice and I do realize syslog-ng is used in lots of other distros.
I was really thinking ahead at that point to SuSE's way of managing services via their "rc" convention and just got ahead of myself there.
I can't speak to the value of restarting syslog-ng daily or not; I'm not a programmer! But, I would have a look in the existing library of SuSE-installed cron jobs to see if they are restarting (or not) syslog-ng.
Certainly SuSE's cron jobs do a lot of log file rotation; perhaps there may be some code snippets there which could be helpful?
Again, I am less concerned about exactly how ZCS log file rotation is accomplished. I am I confess a little concerned that a bug like this is still in ZCS5 at this point. Not trying to be harsh, just asking about getting this bug fixed (at the weeds level), and constructively wondering aloud if Zimbra might consider changing their testing methodology (at the 30,000-foot level) to avoid bugs like this in future.
All the best,

Mark

Return to “Administrators”