Split DNS with zimbra-dnscache

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
dik23
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby dik23 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:08 am

We're currently planning an upgrade to 8.6 from 8.x.

One of the new features in 8.6 is zimbra-dnscache which on the face of it seems like a good idea. However the server is behind a firewall and we're currently using dnsmasq to implement a split DNS and deal with the NAT situation.

After a bit of playing and a lot of searching I can't find anything written about zimbra-dnscache and split DNS. Is this possible or should I just configure dnsmasq to cache lookups? I would prefer to use the Zimbra solution but split DNS is a must.

phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:09 am

Use a proper DNS server, the ZCS dnscache is just that and nothing else.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

If you'd like to see this implemented in a future version of ZCS then please vote on Bugzilla entries 97706 & 108168
jorgedlcruz
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Postby jorgedlcruz » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:08 am

Hi dik23,

It always depends of your needs. For example, if you have a Multi-Server, you can use a local DNS Server based on Bind, and all the Zimbra environment using that Bind, bind per default has the dnscache feature, so you will not need it.

Dnscache is perfect for a environments that connects directly to Internet, and request a high volume of DNS, RBL, etc requests.

Best regards
Jorge de la Cruz https://jorgedelacruz.es
Systems Engineer at Veeam Software https://www.veeam.com/

Return to “Administrators”