Internally sent webmail is being listed as spam because of the ip I log in through?

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Cryophallion
Advanced member
Advanced member

Internally sent webmail is being listed as spam because of the ip I log in through?

Postby Cryophallion » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:42 pm

So, I run a very small zimbra install for my company. I recently moved to a different address, and got Verizon for my internet access. Since then, any emails I send that have attachments get marked as spam. The issue here? I log in with that ip, but I'm still using the webmail interface! If I am logged into webmail, shouldn't it be using the local ip for sending of emails, and therefore whitelist them?

Here is the x-spam info:

X-Spam-Flag: YES
X-Spam-Score: 7.763
X-Spam-Level: *******
X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=7.763 tagged_above=-10 required=6.6
tests=[HTML_MESSAGE=0.001, RCVD_IN_BRBL_LASTEXT=1.644,
RCVD_IN_PBL=3.558, RCVD_IN_RP_RNBL=1.284, RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL=0.001,
RDNS_NONE=1.274, URIBL_BLOCKED=0.001] autolearn=no autolearn_force=no

The PBL test I looked up, and verizon is saying because I'm in their block, I should only be using their webmail, and clearly, I can't change this. But, if I'm using webmail, and not some external client, why is this even happening?

sb0373

Postby sb0373 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:41 am

Usually the client IP is not included in the header (anyone correct me if I am wrong).

As the Zimbra is sending out the e-mails, it is including the server IP as outgoing IP.

Now I am making a few assumptions:

You are using the Verizon SMTP server as a Smart Relay. Or they have blocked specific ports (maybe 25?). So they can probably detect that.

My recommendation, try sending e-mails via an external SMTP server as smart relay (which allows you to pass on different sender addresses instead of forcing you to use their own provided one).

Maybe your domain provider offers a free SMTP server (mine did so I am using that.)
Cryophallion
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby Cryophallion » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:17 pm

Well, then this makes no sense then. Because I've checked the ip for the server, and according to spamhaus, it's not in the sbl, pbl, or xbl, it's clean.

aha. figured it out. It's an old bug from 6.0.7:

https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Increase_in_Spam_Score_After_Upgrading_to_Version_6.0.7
ccelis5215
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.0.9.GA.6191.UBUNTU12.64 FOSS

Postby ccelis5215 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:10 pm

Hello, maybe you need this:[View:https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Prevent_internal_messages_from_being_tagged_as_spam:0:0] 

ccelis

sb0373

Postby sb0373 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:11 am

Sorry for the trouble Cryophallion.

I misread your initial question/problem. Please ignore my previous reply. I thought that Verizon is blocking your e-mails because you didn't send it via their Webmail.... Not sure how I read that...

Best wishes,

sb0373

Return to “Administrators”