Rolling Upgrade testing from 7.2.7 to 8.6 ends in LDAP problems

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
tgx
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 7.2.7

Postby tgx » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:01 pm

I am testing a rolling upgrade from 7.2.7 to 8.6. I say testing because I am using a copy of my VM to conduct these tests.

The VM copy is not attached to the network in any fashion to avoid undesirable issues. To begin I executed install.sh but it

blathered errors about LDAP. Oh joy. Stumbling through the forums I ran across an ill advised method or two which I tried.

The first was to change things to LDAPS because this presumably had worked for one person having the same issue. Well

that didn't work out but did succeed in breaking LDAP. Then I ran across running 'install.sh --skip-upgrade-check'.

Which seemed to work but ultimately also ended in broken LDAP.  Thankfully all of this has occurred during testing and not in

a live upgrade scenario. Praise be to virtual machines. So my question is, what is necessary for this upgrade to succeed?

I have not yet come across the 'secret sauce'.

FWIW, the certificates are fine and do not expire until 2020. The hostname and networking

are unchanged from the production (running) host as the network is simply not connected. Host resolution is being done by a hostfile

127.0.0.1 locathost

11.11.11.11 server.test.com server

(sample information reflecting actual entry)

tgx
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 7.2.7

Postby tgx » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:30 pm

Okay so I've gotten past the issue. Apparently some 'cruft' left over from the LDAPS excursion. Basically still had a reference to port 636 in localconfig.xml.

Have it running now even though admin console says everything is down. LOL. Always something.

**EDIT** Magically all the services are now status 'running' so looks like all is well.

Return to “Administrators”