Hidden messages in my inbox

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
shockwavecs

Hidden messages in my inbox

Postby shockwavecs » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:01 pm

We are experiencing a weird issue that shows hidden/unread messages in inboxes. Marking all as read doesn't do anything. you still see "(1)" or "(6)", etc. next to Inbox. Even in shared inboxes, messages still show up unread, but do not exist in view. You will see something like "48 of 50 messages" in the top right portion next to sort by. A coworker and I share the same technology inbox and he has a few messages that I do not have. Does not appear as a problem on our phones. We use zpush for these, though.

Zimbra FOSS 8.6.0 Update 2
CentOS 6.5 64-bit

innovativeshadow
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.7.0.GA.1659.UBUNTU14.64 FOSS

Re: Hidden messages in my inbox

Postby innovativeshadow » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:57 am

shockwavecs wrote:We are experiencing a weird issue that shows hidden/unread messages in inboxes. Marking all as read doesn't do anything. you still see "(1)" or "(6)", etc. next to Inbox. Even in shared inboxes, messages still show up unread, but do not exist in view. You will see something like "48 of 50 messages" in the top right portion next to sort by. A coworker and I share the same technology inbox and he has a few messages that I do not have. Does not appear as a problem on our phones. We use zpush for these, though.

Zimbra FOSS 8.6.0 Update 2
CentOS 6.5 64-bit

Think you are talking about Zimbra Webclient, Mark all as read will not mark sub folder messages to read, also check right top cornor view, is it "by conversation" or "by message"

If "by conversation" try "by message"
Regards
Ram S
andreaswolske
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 8.8.12_GA_3794.RHEL7_64_201

Postby andreaswolske » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:44 am

If you are talking about the web client: Check the "sort by" option in the E-Mail pane. If it's not sorted by date but by size etc. the unread messages may hide somewhere in the middle. Also you can define a search filter to sort out unread messages. Just type

Code: Select all

in:(inbox OR inbox) is:unread

in the search field. This will find all unread messages no matter what sort order.
HTH
Andreas
shockwavecs

Postby shockwavecs » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:01 pm

hey guys! thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately it's neither of those things. I wish it was!

We can have an inbox that is totally empty, but showing mail that is unread. I added a filter to show whats in the inbox and unread...still not correct. accounts with no subfolders...same issue. Lots of users are calling in with the same issue. We found a command that will temporarily fix the issue, but it comes right back. We are leaning towards index issues currently.

zmprov recalculateMailboxCounts user@domain.com

https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Mailbox_re ... tion_issue

issue comes back after an indeterminate amount of time, but after receiving a new message. hit or miss. it might happen on a new message, it might not.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:12 pm

Index issues are usually the prime suspect in this sort of behaviour. Have you tried reindexing specific account to see if that fixes the problem?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
liverpoolfcfan
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby liverpoolfcfan » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:04 am

I have a vague recollection that having a mailbox synced to a device using IMAP could cause this to happen. Something related to deleting the mail on the IMAP device but not purging the IMAP account on it.... ? I experienced it once when using Thunderbird to sync with my account.
shockwavecs

Postby shockwavecs » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:57 pm

hmm... ok so a little more detail on this:

Users are having trouble moving messages into folders. A Network Service Error" message appears when trying to do so. We get SOAP errors and java stack traces. It's as the SOAP service attempts to mark as read or move a message and ultimately doesn't have the proper permissions to do so. Showing you one thing on the client side but failing to complete the command on the server side.
DualBoot
Elite member
Elite member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS FLOSS - 8.8.15 Mutli servers

Postby DualBoot » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:41 pm

If you suspect a permission problem you can use the following command as root user :

/opt/zimbra/libexec/zmfixperms -extended

It could take an amount of time so run it into the screen command.
The Guy - DualBoot

PostMaster - WikiMaster - SysAdmin
"Free Your Mind. Think Open Source"
april.org
Zetalliance Member - zetalliance.org
shockwavecs

Postby shockwavecs » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:23 pm

enabled DEBUG for the mailbox.log and see a bunch of these when getting the errors in zimbra:

"Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLNonTransientConnectionException: Communications link failure"
shockwavecs

Postby shockwavecs » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:39 pm

To follow up on this...

It appears that we had a corrupt mysql DB. I kept getting tons of mysql errors and decided to check out my secondary Zimbra server (clone via livesync). The secondary server worked 100%, so I made it the primary. This process involves overwriting the slave server with the new primarys data. I highly recommend using this feature for many reasons. The queries are echoed to the slave server and then run on the fly to keep the slave up to date minus a few minutes at most. LDAP is synced as well too.

TLDR; I was screwed with a bad mysql DB. I had to overwrite the mysql DB with a secondary/mirror server to fix the issue.

Return to “Administrators”