Printing address labels

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
eddyedfred

Printing address labels

Postby eddyedfred » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:41 pm

Hey there,
I am searching a solution for this:
The company I am working is a little bit old fashioned. They still use sticky address lables for sending out letters. They have a address database with about 2300 people. They are categorized with tags. Now I need to get a tag group to Excel as csv or directly to Word to print the lables.

The export function is not working for me, because the tags have just numbers. Yeah, I could write a lookup table etc etc etc... I know, but perhaps somebody has a better workflow idea?

Thanks for your help!
marco

JDunphy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.7.11_P14 RHEL6 Network Edition

Re: Printing address labels

Postby JDunphy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:57 pm

I had a customer who imported over 8000 contacts from outlook. Later he discovered, he wanted them filed in a different order. We searched but could not find a method so I did something like this for him.

Code: Select all

zmmailbox -z -m user@example.com gact | zimbra-contacts-fileAs.pl

where zimbra-contacts-fileAs.pl just parsed each record so it could generate the following:

zmmailbox -z -m user@example.com mcta XXXX fileAs 1
zmmailbox -z -m user@example.com mcta XXXXN fileAs 1

You might be able to do something similar where you parse and search for your tags and then generate the format required for your labels. The problem with this solution is you are still on the hook so if it was a zimlet, you could have the person needing the labels to invoke it without your help.... On the other hand, if this could be scheduled, your script could be kicked off via cron and email the person who does the labels in a format they require.

For information about possible options, run this:

Code: Select all

zmmailbox help contact

I don't know if this helps but it is one way that might work.

Return to “Administrators”