Zimbra spam not filtering into Junk folder

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
shockwavecs

Zimbra spam not filtering into Junk folder

Postby shockwavecs » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:35 pm

We have Spamassassin and Mimedefang on our sendmail MTAs. On the Zimbra MDA, I just enabled spam control to give the users a little more fine control.

Before enabling spam within Zimbra, MTA marked spam would filter to the Junk folder and have our MTAs rewritten message(spam report and original message as attachment) displayed properly.

After enabling spam within Zimbra, MTA marked spam appears in the Inbox, but still has the proper **SPAM** header and so on. It's like it's ignoring this now that internal spam has been enabled.

shockwavecs

Re: Zimbra spam not filtering into Junk folder

Postby shockwavecs » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:26 pm

bump after a while!!
shockwavecs

Re: Zimbra spam not filtering into Junk folder

Postby shockwavecs » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:32 pm

OK i discovered the issue. So when Zimbra doesnt run spamassassin, the third party filter (running on my external MTA) does the work. If a message is marked spam it has the "zimbraSpamHeader: X-Spam-Flag and zimbraSpamHeaderValue: YES" options set and it acts on these by taking my exernal MTAs tags and filters them to the junk folder.

NOW, if I have the external MTA running the checks, they are ignored the moment I enable the service within Zimbra. They are essentially tagged **SPAM 6/3.4** and show up in my mailbox (not in junk) because they are being run through the filter again, requiring it to check it all. the scores are different because w do not update the SA rules on teh Zimbra server, only on the relays. so the score checks are wildly different, with no on going customizations. one thought was to make these match. i don't care for that though.

So...this is pointless in a way. I wouldnt need to run SA on the external relay if this internal SA instance will do all that work too.

I am venturing into the idea of creating a filter for all user accounts that says anything with the external MTAs header of **SPAM ...** will go to Junk.

I want all of this so I can do user level spam training on the system because my external MTA cannot do it on a per user basis. jsut as the mimedefang (SA) user.

Return to “Administrators”