Mail delivery is slow

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
kondaiah

Mail delivery is slow

Postby kondaiah » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:13 am

Hi,

We are running on zimbra 8.6 Open Source Edition on single server. We have two Internet Leased Lines (ILL) from two different ISPs (assume A and B). We are using One
Line at a time and other is passive. When the Internet Line from ISP - A goes down we move to other Internet Line from ISP - B. When we are working with
ISP - A, mail delivery within the domain is normal. When we are working with
ISP - B, mail delivery within the domain is very slow and all the mails are in the
zimbra mailq. It is taking 15-20 minutes to deliver the mail to users within the domain.

Generally internal mail delivery should not depend on Internet.

in /etc/resolv.conf we have mentioned our internal DNS server address and nslookup is happening properly. And /etc/hosts configuration is correct.

Can any one has idea what could be the problem and how to resolve this issue?

kondaiah

Re: Mail delivery is slow

Postby kondaiah » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:59 am

I understand such mail delay problems happens due to issues with DNS server. But in both cases we are using same internal DNS server.
vavai
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby vavai » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:16 am

Hi,

Try to gather message source/show header and use mxtoolbox online service for mail header analyze, there you can see which step/process would take longer on mail processing
kondaiah

Postby kondaiah » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:30 am

Hi vavai,

Thank you for prompt reply. I have visited your web site. You are doing great. Let me explain my problem in simple terms..

Internal mail delivery is very fast when we are running on one Internet Service Provider.
After switch over to other Internet Service Provider Mail delivery is becoming slow.

Both the times we are using same internal DNS server and we not doing any changes in the mail server..
vavai
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby vavai » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:50 am

Hi,
kondaiah wrote:Hi vavai,

Thank you for prompt reply. I have visited your web site. You are doing great. Let me explain my problem in simple terms..

Internal mail delivery is very fast when we are running on one Internet Service Provider.
After switch over to other Internet Service Provider Mail delivery is becoming slow.

Both the times we are using same internal DNS server and we not doing any changes in the mail server..

As the problem came from one ISP and the fact that internal mail delivery should not affect on ISP changes, the best you can investigate are seeking which process taken longer and it can be provided by message header analyze. There you can see, if the longer time are on amavis processing, postfix internal milter or others as without any data, me (or others) could not imagine what had happened :D

Return to “Administrators”