Best way to do Public shared email folders

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
FredKarno

Best way to do Public shared email folders

Postby FredKarno » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:07 am

Hi folks, I wonder if anyone could give me some advice?
I've got about 10 contact email addresses at my company which are published on our website, on leaflets etc so that customers can get in touch. At the moment they're all subfolders of a single (dummy) user. The incoming email is filtered to the subfolders accoding to "To:" address and I manage sharing of those folders through distribution lists.
I thought this was a pretty neat solution, but I've run into problems with spammers attacking the credentials of the shared account through the web interface. That account has a fixed (but extremely complex) password set - something no user could be expected to type - and therefore gets locked out quite regularly. This leads to the shared folders becoming unavailable until the account is restored automatically (currently the default 2hr timeout) or the crescendo of screaming reaches such high levels that I unlock the account myself.

Firstly, is there a better way of setting up email folders that are shared between multiple users and can receive external email? The current setup was a "hack something together, oh it's working, move on" sort of solution that was put in place during our migration from Exchange a few years ago.

Secondly, can I disable login for that public account from the internet? I can't do it with firewall rules or I'd affect all users but having that login screen available for a non-monitored account isn't helping. I've changed the password again, to something insane and I can change the account name to something random to try and prevent the lockouts but I'm really looking for a permanent solution rather than having to keep jumping to keep one step ahead of the Spammers.

Thanks for all help!
fred

FredKarno

Re: Best way to do Public shared email folders

Postby FredKarno » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:16 pm

OK, it's early days but it looks like setting zimbraAuthFallbackToLocal FALSE has solved the issue I was having with the hackers (we used to have a single email user on the system who wasn't also in the AD - that won't happen again!)

But if there's a better/recommended way to share public email folders, I'd still be interested.
Thanks,
Fred
ccelis5215
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 P12

Postby ccelis5215 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:33 pm

FredKarno wrote: But if there's a better/recommended way to share public email folders, I'd still be interested.

Hi, just don't do it. Use forms and obfuscate the email addresses, and use a distribution list not an actual mailbox account.

ccelis.
FredKarno

Postby FredKarno » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:32 am

That's what I'd like to do, but my users won't wear it :(
They want a single copy of each email so each one is dealt with once instead of several people receiving identical copies of the email.
What I really need is the option to set an account status similar to "locked" which prevents web login but still allows users with access via shares to see the folders.
Hey ho!

Return to “Administrators”