Lost sent emails

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Weener

Lost sent emails

Postby Weener » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:55 am

Hi People,

I've been using the OSE for a number of years, and am very happy with it. I only use it for small deployments (because that is the nature of the work I do).

Unfortunately I've run into an issue which I haven't been able to forum lurk and solve.

Randomly - when people send emails - the email doesn't get put into their sent items box. The item sent, but the copy is completely lost.

The clients are all IMAP based. Outlook, iPhone and Zimbra Desktop users have reported this issue - I haven't got any feedback on Thunderbird, yet. I haven't observed it in the webmail client - but I will be more vigilant of checking in the future.

The version of Zimbra is;

zimbra@mail:~/log$ zmcontrol -v
Release 8.8.12.GA.3794.UBUNTU16.64 UBUNTU16_64 FOSS edition, Patch 8.8.12_P4.

The detective work I have done to date is to track down what ID the mail should've had - into the database - and this is where I don't understand the nature of the information I am looking at.

The one mail that is missing should've had ID 6458 - based on the time it was sent.

Going into the db and searching for this ID yields ;

MariaDB [mboxgroup51]> select * from mail_item where id=6458 ;

+------------+------+------+-----------+-----------+--------------+----------+---------+------------+------+---------+-------------+--------+-------+------+-----------+--------+------------+-------------+------+------------+--------------+-------------+-------------+------+
| mailbox_id | id | type | parent_id | folder_id | prev_folders | index_id | imap_id | date | size | locator | blob_digest | unread | flags | tags | tag_names | sender | recipients | subject | name | metadata | mod_metadata | change_date | mod_content | uuid |
+------------+------+------+-----------+-----------+--------------+----------+---------+------------+------+---------+-------------+--------+-------+------+-----------+--------+------------+-------------+------+------------+--------------+-------------+-------------+------+
| 151 | 6458 | 4 | NULL | 9 | NULL | NULL | NULL | 1565301367 | 2 | NULL | NULL | NULL | 0 | 0 | NULL | NULL | NULL | *** | NULL | *** | 14555 | 1565301367 | 14555 | NULL |

Subject and metadata have been removed, but did not contain information relevant to the missing email.

This seems to contain too little information. (again, I'm no expert)

The logs don't show any attempt to store the email - the 6458 mail entry is skipped ( I was looking for 'mailop' (grepped with email account) entries in the ~/log/mailbox.log ).

The mail store folder doesn't contain any file prefixed with 6458, for that user.

Is anyone able to point me in the direction of where I should be looking next?

Thanks

Return to “Administrators”