Page 1 of 1

Cannot change Relay MTA

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:02 pm
by davespigot
I am running ZCS 8.8.15 OSS - I just upgraded from 8.8.8.

I am trying to change the Relay MTA setting to send external email using a different SMTP relay provider, but the old setting is persisting. I have tried changing the setting in the admin web interface and using the command line. When I run "zmprov gacf" - I see the correct relay host listed - and yet email continues to be relayed out using the old setting.

As I mentioned about - I have upgraded from 8.8.8->8.8.15 during the process of troubleshooting this issue, so obviously all services have been restarted, etc.

I had previously attempted to to do sender based relays using the information here - https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Relay_per_Domain - but was unable to make this work. I have reverted the changes made per the wiki.

Stumped.


Thanks for any help or ideas on how to troubleshoot further....

Re: Cannot change Relay MTA

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:43 pm
by phoenix
What commands, exactly, did you use to change the relay? Does the following command give the expected output:

Code: Select all

zmprov gs $(zmhostname) | grep zimbraMtaRelayHost

Re: Cannot change Relay MTA

Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:50 pm
by davespigot
Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, the "zmprov gs <serverhostname> | grep zimbraMtaRelayHost" returns the expected value

I uses the following commands to set this -

zmprov zcf zimbraMtaRelayHost smtp.relay.host
zmprov zs <servername> zimbraMtaRelayHost smtp.relay.host

Re: Cannot change Relay MTA

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:35 pm
by davespigot
Following up - I did a string search for the old MTA relay FQDN in both /opt/zimbra/conf and /opt/zimbra/common/conf and did not find any obvious place where this value might be "stuck" in a Postfix configuration file. There were several hits in various log files only.

Any additional info would be appreciated.

Re: Cannot change Relay MTA

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:06 am
by pup_seba
Hi,

Reverse the changes you did while applying the steps provided here:
https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Relay_per_Domain

That relay configuration is one of the most straight forward configurations in zimbra, so if it is not working as expected in your deployment, then I have to assume that some particular tunning in your env. is missing that up. So my suggestion, would be to go back to basics, remove those configurations and start from scratch taking step by step.

Other thing you could try, is to deploy a new MTA and configure your stores to use it as the smtp relay host for external delivery. So if you do it like that, you won't need to change anything in your current MTA. All of this, is at least for test purposes and to find the cause of the anormal behaviour.

I would put my money on this https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Relay_per_Domain not being well configured or portrayed after the update. I can confirm to you that 8.8.15 "per se" works with smtp external relays as expected (at least when no relay per domain is confugured).