looking for server side filter rules or something similar

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
dipeshmehta
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby dipeshmehta » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:31 am

Hello,
I am looking for some kind of filter rule for an account which should be at server side and not at user.
I explain the matter:

I have a group of users working under same department, all have their individual accounts. In addition, there is one account with the department name. I forward all mails inbound to this account to the respective department head, he reads mail and forwards the same to the users to whom it is finally for. This creates unnecessary internal mail traffic and unnecessary storage too.
If I can create filter rule (or similar) for this department's id, based on certain criteria mail shall drop into respective user's mailbox only.
Guidance or other solutions in the matter are welcome
Dipesh

iway
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby iway » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Have you looked at the mail filter rules available in ZCS via the web interface?
dipeshmehta
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby dipeshmehta » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:04 pm

[quote user="iway"]Have you looked at the mail filter rules available in ZCS via the web interface?[/QUOTE]
Do you mean filter rules in user interface? If so, this might just automate the task, but will not help in reducing mail traffic and/or storage
Dipesh
dream_liner2k2

Postby dream_liner2k2 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:31 am

Hi Dipesh,
Did you achieve any light. I've a similar need?
dipeshmehta
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby dipeshmehta » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:57 pm

[quote user="dream_liner2k2"]Hi Dipesh,
Did you achieve any light. I've a similar need?[/QUOTE]
nopes, I couldn't find any solution in the matter.. :(
dream_liner2k2

Postby dream_liner2k2 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:22 am

Hi All,
I did this work around to achieve the server side filtering.
1.Thru recipient_bcc i got the inward mails of all the accounts forwarded to a mailbox (say, archive_account)
2. In the preferences of the archive_account, I applied the necessary email filters.
htd01

Postby htd01 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:21 am

If you can set up several filters to run in order, you can handle this. Exchange has a function called Redirect, which doesn't "Forward" a copy, it just bounces the same mail out to wherever you point it, leaving a copy in your box. However, it also allows you to STACK the actions to take. Check the Zimbra Filters for a Redirect command, and see if you can take more than one action. If you can, the department mailbox could be automated to filter the mail and delete it's own copy, back them all up to a folder etc, but all AFTER the initial redirect. This then leaves only one address to be seen, the original sender, and when replyall, doesn't go through Department mailbox, but straight back to sender. I don't use Zimbra yet, and can't be sure if the function matches perfectly, but most mail servers have it that way (from my experience). I'll be testing one of the latest builds as soon as I can put the hardware together, as I'm thinking of actually implementing it for a Non-profit I just started volunteering with. It's a great way to measure up to professional standards without outputting a ton of $$$ on microsoft any more than we have to.

Return to “Administrators”