Issues with ActiveSync and (some) Apple products in 8.8.15 (NE)

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
joho
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: Release 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU16.64

Issues with ActiveSync and (some) Apple products in 8.8.15 (NE)

Postby joho » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:46 am

We recently updated from 8.8.12 to 8.8.15, and some (Apple) clients are experiencing problems with ActiveSync set-ups.

In particular, it seems like when the client selects "sync all items", they will not get anything *after* the time of us upgrading to 8.8.15. If they select "last month", items are included from both before the upgrade and after the upgrade.

Has anyone else seen this?

I also noticed that in https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Zimbra_Releases/8.8.15/P8, there's a notice about Zimbra adding support for EAS levels 16.0 and 16.1. I checked our configuration for this setting which sure enough was at 16.1 (we did not set it to 16.1). So I have now reverted it to 14.1, which is the highest as far as I know to be present before the upgrade to 8.8.15.

Could it be that some Apple products are having issues with EAS 16.0 / 16.1, or is this ActiveSync issue related to something else?

-joho

DavidMerrill
Advanced member
Advanced member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 P19

Re: Issues with ActiveSync and (some) Apple products in 8.8.15 (NE)

Postby DavidMerrill » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:12 pm

There's been EAS-related discussions on the Zeta Alliance Weekly Call Summaries, I'd review those...

search.php?keywords=Zeta+Alliance+Weekly+Call+Summaries+EAS
joho
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby joho » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:48 am

DavidMerrill wrote:There's been EAS-related discussions on the Zeta Alliance Weekly Call Summaries, I'd review those...

Thank you. It looks like it's quite possible that some of these findings are what some of our clients are running into. Specially those with a larger amount of folders and/or e-mail.

It's a shame issues like these are introduced in minor version upgrades of a reasonable stable product branch, and I wasn't really expecting stuff like this to pop up between 8.8.12 and 8.8.15.

-joho
L. Mark Stone
Elite member
Elite member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 Network Edition

Postby L. Mark Stone » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:58 pm

joho wrote:
DavidMerrill wrote:There's been EAS-related discussions on the Zeta Alliance Weekly Call Summaries, I'd review those...

Thank you. It looks like it's quite possible that some of these findings are what some of our clients are running into. Specially those with a larger amount of folders and/or e-mail.

It's a shame issues like these are introduced in minor version upgrades of a reasonable stable product branch, and I wasn't really expecting stuff like this to pop up between 8.8.12 and 8.8.15.

-joho

I have an open Support Case with Zimbra on this, and the problem here seems to be on Apple's side.

iPhones ask for a complete list of folders before they will sync any emails. Debug logs show that Zimbra provides the complete folder list on a timely basis, but the phones don't always accept the list and so ask the server to deliver the folder list all over again.

Figuring out why as I understand it is an active task at the moment.

It is interesting to note that Microsoft 365 has an internal limit of 1,000 email folders, whereas Zimbra has no such limit. I have customers with tens of thousands of email folders FWIW.

Hope that helps,
Mark
joho
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby joho » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:05 pm

What's strange (to us) is that it worked in 8.8.12, but no longer in 8.8.15. I'm not saying it's not client side, but there was a distinct difference all of a sudden after the upgrade.

Oh well, let's hope it gets resolved somehow.
L. Mark Stone
Elite member
Elite member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 Network Edition

Postby L. Mark Stone » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:50 pm

joho wrote:What's strange (to us) is that it worked in 8.8.12, but no longer in 8.8.15. I'm not saying it's not client side, but there was a distinct difference all of a sudden after the upgrade.

Oh well, let's hope it gets resolved somehow.

You can always try downgrading EAS back to 14.1, wait for the phones to renegotiate and see if that solves the problem. 8.8.12 did not include 16.0 and 16.1. The benefit of EAS 16.x is that you can just wipe the account from the mobile device; EAS 14.1 only allows you to wipe the entire device.

FWIW that didn't help us, but it's worth a try.

Hope that helps,
Mark

Return to “Administrators”