Backup

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
cjm51213

Backup

Postby cjm51213 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:05 pm

HI FOLKS,
I AM RUNNING ZCS (OSE) 8. WHAT ARE GOOD WAY TO BACKUP? WHAT NEEDS TO BE COPIED? OBVIOUSLY THE MYSQL DATABASE, BUT I SUSPECT THERE IS MORE.
I NEED TO CONSIDER TWO OPTIONS:

• BARE METAL BACKUP, WHICH IS EASILY DONE WITH A DISK IMAGE COPIER LIKE DD

• DATA BACKUP FOR RESTORE OF DATA TO PREPARED AND RUNNING CENTROS SERVER.

ADVICE AND CAUTION WELCOMED.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP,
CHRIS.

phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Backup

Postby phoenix » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:55 am

Did you look at any of the threads in these forums that cover "backup" or any of the articles in the wiki on the subject?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
cjm51213

Backup

Postby cjm51213 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:37 pm

Hi Bill,
Of course I did. The threads in the forum are all requests for help, and I found none that answered my questions, and the Wiki article was overly complex and general talking about creating a dummy installation... Seems like it is not really this complicated. For example, can I periodically create a dd image on my disk and then do correct backups of the data in the index and the store (MySQL?) Is this sufficient? Then can I reconstruct a running zimbra from those pieces? Can I use rsync to keep the mail traffic current on a hot stand-by?
Thanks for the help,
Chris.
ccelis5215
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 P12

Backup

Postby ccelis5215 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:53 pm

[quote user="cjm51213"]Hi Bill,
Of course I did. The threads in the forum are all requests for help, and I found none that answered my questions, and the Wiki article was overly complex and general talking about creating a dummy installation... Seems like it is not really this complicated. For example, can I periodically create a dd image on my disk and then do correct backups of the data in the index and the store (MySQL?) Is this sufficient? Then can I reconstruct a running zimbra from those pieces? Can I use rsync to keep the mail traffic current on a hot stand-by?
Thanks for the help,
Chris.[/QUOTE]
Hello Chris,
You have to recognize that you didn't have give details about yours deployments.
Zimbra , as you surely know it's complex and require every bit backed up regarding.
No, you have to have cold backups to salvage and recover a running zimbra instance.
Of course, i'am refering about FOSS.
ccelis

Return to “Administrators”