[SOLVED] Fetchmail from other servers (aka account aggregation)

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
cutigersfan

Postby cutigersfan » Tue May 09, 2006 8:32 am

If fetchmail is run with the -d option, how do I make sure that persists after a reboot?

phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Tue May 09, 2006 8:59 am

You need to create a start-up script to run the daemon at boot time.
[edit]

Mind you, I find that it's easier to run fetchmail as a cron job and use webmin to create/manage the fetchmail accounts. Is there any particular reason you want to run it as a daemon?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

If you'd like to see this implemented in a future version of ZCS then please vote on Bugzilla entries 97706 & 108168
cutigersfan

Postby cutigersfan » Tue May 09, 2006 9:27 am

I went to create that script and noticed a couple of things:
1) Debian already has a fetchmail startup script there, but the /etc/fetchmailrc file doesn't seem to exist. Perhaps I can use that?
2) fetchmail is already running. Does zimbra have a fetchmail process that runs as root from time to time. Everytime I look there is a fetchmail process iwth a different PID. Is it supposed to run that often or did I do this somehow?
Thanks.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Tue May 09, 2006 9:35 am

No, Zimbra doesn't run fetchmail - that's only for users to get mail from ISP (type) accounts and zimbra is a mail server which has mail delivered to port 25.
I'm afraid I haven't used that script to create fetchmail files, as a fugitive from Windows I still prefer GUI type management functions. So, as I mentioned earlier, I use webmin for creating and managing fetchmail accounts - it's much easier, have a look at http://www.webmin.com Also, the fetchmailrc file is named .fetchmailrc (a hidden file) and a file is created (in their home directory) for each user that has fetchmail run for them.
Regards

Bill

If you'd like to see this implemented in a future version of ZCS then please vote on Bugzilla entries 97706 & 108168
Klug
Elite member
Elite member

Postby Klug » Wed May 24, 2006 4:40 am

Would it be possible to have a UI page for that, allowing users to add their own POP3 accounts to fetch ?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Wed May 24, 2006 4:51 am

[quote user="8141Klug"]Would it be possible to have a UI page for that, allowing users to add their own POP3 accounts to fetch ?[/QUOTE]

There already is a UI, it's called webmin from http://www.webmin.com - it has lots of management functions.
Regards

Bill

Klug
Elite member
Elite member

Postby Klug » Wed May 24, 2006 5:01 am

[quote user="10330phoenix"]There already is a UI, it's called webmin from http://www.webmin.com - it has lots of management functions.[/QUOTE]

Oui mais non 8)

And, for our "non French" readers : "yes but no".
I know Webmin, but :
  • I don't want to try to explain 300 users (or more) how to use Webmin

• I don't want to deal with Webmin auth against Zimbra directory

• Webmin is ugly (while very powerfull)

My question was about integrating a "fetch other accounts setup page" in the native Zimbra UI, as and additional feature for end users (as long as the domain admin authorizes it).
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Wed May 24, 2006 5:38 am

[quote user="8141Klug"]My question was about integrating a "fetch other accounts setup page" in the native Zimbra UI, as and additional feature for end users (as long as the domain admin authorizes it).[/QUOTE]

Well, if you want that sort of feature integrated into Zimbra then you should file an entry in bugzilla (don't forget to vote fo it) - that tends to get more notice and is easier for the zimbra team to follow than posts in the forum. IMO, it could be a useful addition. :D
Regards

Bill

Klug
Elite member
Elite member

Postby Klug » Wed May 24, 2006 8:25 am

phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Wed May 24, 2006 8:54 am

OK, il a ma voix :)
Regards

Bill

Return to “Administrators”