Upgrading memory breaks zimbra

Running our Appliance (ZCA), ZCS on VMware, or any other virtual machine software? Post your thoughts here.
mclain
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby mclain » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:00 pm

I just installed The latest network edition of zimbra in linux on VMware. Originally we set 4g for memory but after install we wanted to change to 8. When we do soit makes zimbra unable to see host when attempting to use web. Change it back down to 4g and works again. Not sure if this is a VMware issue but from what I read increasing memory shouldn't cause this issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Postby marcmac » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:32 pm

Run zmcontrol status and find out what's not starting, then check the logs and see if you can find out why.
Labsy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby Labsy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:09 am

I also increased RAM for Zimbra VM from 4GB to 8GB and althrough zmcontrol status shows everything is running fine, I get ERROR 500 Internal Server Error when trying to login to webmail.

First day after RAM increase it was working fine, but next day I've got this error.
Is upgrading from 6.0.6 to 6.0.8 in such a state a good idea?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:59 am

[quote user="Labsy"]I also increased RAM for Zimbra VM from 4GB to 8GB and althrough zmcontrol status shows everything is running fine, I get ERROR 500 Internal Server Error when trying to login to webmail.

First day after RAM increase it was working fine, but next day I've got this error.[/QUOTE]As mentioned in the post above yours, you need to look in the log files and see what's happening.
[quote user="Labsy"]Is upgrading from 6.0.6 to 6.0.8 in such a state a good idea?[/QUOTE]You should fix any errors on your server before trying to upgrade, an upgrade rarely fixes an error like this.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
hateball

Postby hateball » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:32 am

Are you booting with iommu=soft ? This kernel switch needs to be used to use over 4GB ram properly in VmWare. Just an idea :)
Labsy
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby Labsy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:18 am

[quote user="hateball"]Are you booting with iommu=soft ? This kernel switch needs to be used to use over 4GB ram properly in VmWare. Just an idea :)[/QUOTE]Interesting. I didn't know that.

I did some googling on the subject and found hardware iommu (gart) is buggy in environments with RAM >4GB (which is my case) having sporadic problems mostly with md5 or other hashes in few % of cases.

Setting boot option iommu=soft forces kernel to use software iommu lib which is not buggy. At least I understood it so.

More info welcome!
On the other hand - 500 Error is gone, without any intervention from my side. Maybe I just don't get enough feedback from my users, but without feedback it's hard to debug.

Or maybe it was just browser related, on my computer, where I left session opened during server upgrade, and then tried to connect with old session after server came up again.

Return to “Virtualization”