What's in the Open Source Edition vs. Network Standard Edition

Have a great idea for extending Zimbra? Share ideas, ask questions, contribute, and get feedback.
wiseguy
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:56 pm

What's in the Open Source Edition vs. Network Standard Edition

Postby wiseguy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:02 pm

I read in Zimbra's new press release:

"Zimbra's Public License package is available free of charge. Zimbra's

Network Standard Edition is available for $30 per mailbox per year."
Could you please explain those two licences?


Regards,
Andreas


14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador
Posts: 4558
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:52 pm

What's in the Open Source Edition vs. Network Standard Edition

Postby 14319KevinH » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:17 pm

The Zimbra Public License (ZPL) is the open source release that we've posted on the website. It's free of charge and includes all the features listed here. The Network Standard Edition will include everything in the OSS/ZPL release. It will also include the following features:




  • Advanced management



    • Clustering

    • Hierarchical storage management

    • Delegated administration

    • Message tracing

    • Hot full and incremental backup/restore

    • Individual mailbox restore



  • Advanced connectitvity


  • Outlook/MAPI

  • Mobility



  • Advanced attachment management


    • Attachment indexing and search

    • HTML attachment rendering



  • Support

  • Full access to Zimbra knowledge base

The current plan for the next release includes the following features. Please keep in mind this is our plan. It's not commited at this time and is subject to change. As always we'll be releasing milestones along the way so you can track our progress and always be working with the freshest bits if you choose.
OSS (aka ZPL)




  • Delegated calendar access

  • Multi-calendar views

  • Distribution list management from Admin UI

  • Alias management from Admin UI

  • Improved logging

  • Calendar print

Network





  • Everything in OSS

  • Hierarchical storage management

  • Integration with Red Hat cluster suite

  • Message tracing

antonio.meireles
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:56 pm

What's in the Open Source Edition vs. Network Standard Edition

Postby antonio.meireles » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:41 am

so delegated administration will never be in the OSS version ?
adobrin
Advanced member
Advanced member
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:56 pm

What's in the Open Source Edition vs. Network Standard Edition

Postby adobrin » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:13 am

Ok. Since you bring it up, heres some of the things i've been thinking:
1) It would be really great if we could purchase "Network Licenses" for only a portion of our user base. I have about 2% that would want or need to use Outlook/BES, and i'm not sure I could justify a 30$/useryear charge to management for the other 98%.
2) Will the Network Edition still be Open Source. -- Its almost defeating the purpose of using the product if we lose internal extendability options by purchasing the licensed version--we'll still need to do heavy customizations.
And while I'm on the subject of wish lists:
Interface

1) Resizable columns, sortable columns (i.e. i can't sort by "Sender" right now), and pluggable columns (If i want to replace say, Internal-Date with X-Sent-Date). It would help to have these fields available in the Search Builder, too.
2) Tasks. Sure, it would be great to have this integrated with a custom forms and workflow engine (as it seems that's your projected-path), but its just, well, missing right now. -- Along these same lines, I'm eventually hoping we're getting a Notes-like forms builder--thats the plan, right? :)
3) A way to script popups/mashups into the system via the Admin UI.


Just to reiterate, Zimbra is awesome. You all have done an amazing job, and I am eagerly looking forward to the future of this product.
Thanks.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador
Posts: 4558
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:52 pm

What's in the Open Source Edition vs. Network Standard Edition

Postby 14319KevinH » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:49 pm

[quote user="antonio.meireles"]so delegated administration will never be in the OSS version ?[/QUOTE]
At this time we don't plan on including it in the OSS release.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador
Posts: 4558
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:52 pm

What's in the Open Source Edition vs. Network Standard Edition

Postby 14319KevinH » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:23 pm

[quote user="adobrin"]Ok. Since you bring it up, heres some of the things i've been thinking:
1) It would be really great if we could purchase "Network Licenses" for only a portion of our user base. I have about 2% that would want or need to use Outlook/BES, and i'm not sure I could justify a 30$/useryear charge to management for the other 98%.[/QUOTE]
At this time you'd have to run two servers to achieve this. Could you help us out and talk about what your running today? Do you already have a full calendar and email product that your replacing for both the 2% and 98% user groups?
[quote user="adobrin"]

2) Will the Network Edition still be Open Source. -- Its almost defeating the purpose of using the product if we lose internal extendability options by purchasing the licensed version--we'll still need to do heavy customizations.[/QUOTE]
There is some 3rd party code in the Network Edition that due to license restrictions can't open source. The Network Edition is just as extensible as the Open Source version. The SOAP api's won't change and the Javascript in the client by the technology's nature is open. Also with the Network Edition you'll get full support. This not only includes support on install and administration but support for your integration into your environment.
[quote user="adobrin"]

And while I'm on the subject of wish lists:

[/QUOTE]


I'm going to start a new thread with this if you don't mind.


[quote user="adobrin"">http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1280
[quote user="adobrin"
]

Just to reiterate, Zimbra is awesome. You all have done an amazing job, and I am eagerly looking forward to the future of this product.
Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Thanks we appreciate the honest and frank feedback and will try to respond with the same.
1530tommie
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:55 pm

What's in the Open Source Edition vs. Network Standard Edition

Postby 1530tommie » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:31 am

Dear,
are you going to implement Outlook/MAP in the OSS version? Because we are interested in setting up a zimbra server, however we want to use outlook to connect to it in the offices.
We are willing to pay for a connector licences. Will this be available? So you can use the OSS version but buy connectors?
Regards
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador
Posts: 4558
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:52 pm

What's in the Open Source Edition vs. Network Standard Edition

Postby 14319KevinH » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:42 am

[quote user="1530tommie"]Dear,
are you going to implement Outlook/MAP in the OSS version? Because we are interested in setting up a zimbra server, however we want to use outlook to connect to it in the offices.
We are willing to pay for a connector licences. Will this be available? So you can use the OSS version but buy connectors?
Regards[/QUOTE]
At this time we plan to support the Outlook MAPI connector in the Network Edition only. If you've got additional questions on this you can PM me or use our sales _at_ zimbra.com email address.
smvanbru
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:58 pm

What's in the Open Source Edition vs. Network Standard Edition

Postby smvanbru » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:10 pm

[quote user="adobrin"]

1) It would be really great if we could purchase "Network Licenses" for only a portion of our user base. I have about 2% that would want or need to use Outlook/BES, and i'm not sure I could justify a 30$/useryear charge to management for the other 98%.

[/QUOTE]
Network licenses could also be useful for our office. We have those who are tightly connected to our office that we would be happy to purchase licenses for. We also have others that are "loosly connected" that we would like to give accounts to but we don't need any of the extra stuff for them, and wouldn't want to have to pay the extra costs for them. That said, being able to shedule them in meetings precludes putting them on a separate server. Separate servers also increase admin costs, so are not desirable.
Another place where free liscences in the Network version could be handy is in adding temporary/project/short term/... where the accounts aren't around long enough to justify the administraiton behind license purchases. (one big advantage of free is removing the license tracting/accounting stuff we need to do on an administration level). We're thinking about switching from Notes to Zambra, and one of the questions is if so, which. The main appeal for the free one now is that we can create new accounts when ever we like without having to go and buy them first. We wouldn't have any problem with purchasing licences for the main people in the office if we could also have free ones for everyone else, but without that, we might go completely free.
I hope all this made sense.
Thanks a bunch!
Steve.
Andy.pflaum
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:55 pm

What's in the Open Source Edition vs. Network Standard Edition

Postby Andy.pflaum » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:31 am

[quote user="smvanbru"]Network licenses could also be useful for our office. We have those who are tightly connected to our office that we would be happy to purchase licenses for. We also have others that are "loosly connected" that we would like to give accounts to but we don't need any of the extra stuff for them, and wouldn't want to have to pay the extra costs for them....
....We wouldn't have any problem with purchasing licences for the main people in the office if we could also have free ones for everyone else, but without that, we might go completely free.
I hope all this made sense.

[/QUOTE]

Got it, thanks for the feedback. Not sure we can provide support for free users (beyond documentation and Forums access for users of the free open-source), but we are looking at how we can provide appropriate pricing for companies/organizations with users who have varying levels of feature-requirements. If you have more detailed thoughts on your users and what levels of features & support would be appropriate for them, we'd appreciate hearing them at sales [at] zimbra.com. Thank you.

Return to “Developers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests