What's in the Open Source Edition vs. Network Standard Edition

Have a great idea for extending Zimbra? Share ideas, ask questions, contribute, and get feedback.
cpm
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby cpm » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:27 am

Would it be considered a sleezy license violation to add the Zimbra server to an existing

email infrastructure. Using a mysql lookup table, to set a transport for *REAL* users

to go to the Zimbra server, and all that "other" stuff, like users, scripts, mailling lists

and other email *stuff* that doesn't need or even want the Zimbra treatment to

remain in a separate system?
Just thinking out loud.

14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby 14319KevinH » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:06 pm

[quote user="Aderium"]Hi There,
What is he status of the OS X port, we are craving to get this trial going o our servers !
Also I think that it would be nice to have a timeframe for the mobile usage (treo/blackberry and so on) I think a lot of companies depend on it to move out of their present systems.
:)[/QUOTE]
OSX port is closer. We plan to have it out in a couple weeks. You can sync mail today for both with IMAP. Full calendar/contacts sync will require the MAPI plugin for desktop sync which will come next(no date yet). After that we'll add ActiveSync and Blackberry Server support. Those will be sometime next year.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby 14319KevinH » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:08 pm

[quote user="cpm"]Would it be considered a sleezy license violation to add the Zimbra server to an existing

email infrastructure. Using a mysql lookup table, to set a transport for *REAL* users

to go to the Zimbra server, and all that "other" stuff, like users, scripts, mailling lists

and other email *stuff* that doesn't need or even want the Zimbra treatment to

remain in a separate system?
Just thinking out loud.[/QUOTE]
Doesn't seem like a problem, but not sure exactly how you'd do it. Seems to me you'd lose some core functionality but not enough details here to make that decision.
riegersteve
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby riegersteve » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:33 pm

[quote user="Aderium"]what has been the outcome of an iSync adaptor so far ?[/QUOTE]

define your reqs for isync. i wrote an isync for mac clients to work with sun calendar system.
if you tell me your specs perhaps we can whip something up here.
also as far as i know zimbra server can be subscribed to with any ical format calendar app.
Aderium
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby Aderium » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:09 pm

[quote user="riegersteve"]define your reqs for isync. i wrote an isync for mac clients to work with sun calendar system.
if you tell me your specs perhaps we can whip something up here.
also as far as i know zimbra server can be subscribed to with any ical format calendar app.[/QUOTE]

Well the needs for groupware on Apple platform are the same as any other, wich means the ability for programs like Mail or Entourage or Thundirbird to read delegated calendars and contacts and especially to invite others to calendar events.
or
Use Address Book to view edit contacts for the user or other users .
Sync Zimbra calendar contacs with phone
lfarkas

Postby lfarkas » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:51 am

[quote user="adobrin"]Ok. Since you bring it up, heres some of the things i've been thinking:
1) It would be really great if we could purchase "Network Licenses" for only a portion of our user base. I have about 2% that would want or need to use Outlook/BES, and i'm not sure I could justify a 30$/useryear charge to management for the other 98%.

[/QUOTE]
The same true for us. i'd like to use onlyf or a few people the outlook connector 10-20 people for everyone else the opensource edition would be enough. so it'd be useful if some kinf of license would be possible in this situation, or if one can use network edition and only the licensed number of users can be use connectors. anyway i can't find any price list on the webpage, but it'd be useful if all components in the network edition which are not included in the open edition can be purchase one-by-one.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby 14319KevinH » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:53 am

[quote user="lfarkas"]The same true for us. i'd like to use onlyf or a few people the outlook connector 10-20 people for everyone else the opensource edition would be enough. so it'd be useful if some kinf of license would be possible in this situation, or if one can use network edition and only the licensed number of users can be use connectors. anyway i can't find any price list on the webpage, but it'd be useful if all components in the network edition which are not included in the open edition can be purchase one-by-one.[/QUOTE]

If you have questions abot pricing or want to talk about the network edition contacting our Sales team via email is your best bet.
sales @ zimbra.com
raj2569

Postby raj2569 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:41 pm

Hi,
Can you tell me what is message tracing? I looked around a bit but could not find any information about it?
raj
marcmac
Elite member
Elite member

Postby marcmac » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:58 pm

message tracing (which is in OS, I think) is the ability to track messages through the system.
So, if you're boss says "I sent a message to client xyz sometime yesterday, and they didn't get it, what happened?" you can do a trace based on time, sender, recipient, etc, and get some information (deferred, marked as spam, etc). It'll only tell you what happened in the zimbra system, not other mail systems, but it's still pretty useful.
The command is zmmsgtrace, and it shipped with M2. Test it out!
raj2569

Postby raj2569 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:37 pm

Normally (in qmail) I would grep through logs and/or through the queue to do this. Since this is listed as a network edition feature, does it mean that i will not be able to find this information in logs? (will be pretty surprised if it is indeed the case) Or does this means I get a nice cmd line tool to spare me of all grepping?
raj

Return to “Developers”