"Native" Evolution support?

Have a great idea for extending Zimbra? Share ideas, ask questions, contribute, and get feedback.
5243denisb

Postby 5243denisb » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:28 am

Would">http://shellter.sourceforge.net/evolution/
Would
it be possible to get some sort of proper Evolution support with Zimbra? As of now it is not possible to use Evolution for equal functionality to Outlook as far as I know? Evolution on it's side has an Exchange connector enabling access to Exchange backends on the level of Outlook and Zimbra has a connector enabling Outlook access to Zimbra..
Wouldn't it be great if one could use an open source full featured PIM/Mail client with Zimbra?

phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:15 am

You can certainly connect evolution to Zimbra, what specifically isn't working that you think should be? Could you file any product enhancement requests in bugzilla, they'll get tracked by the zimbra team there - don't forget to vote for the enhancement if you file it.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
dijichi2
Elite member
Elite member

Postby dijichi2 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:52 am

unfortunately (for you, fortunately for the rest of us) I believe the outlook support for zimbra is on the client side not the server side so the evolution connector won't work in that case!! you can connect email through imap of course, and access the GAL through ldap although that has limited use. you won't be able to get your personal contacts, and you'll be able to connect to the calendar one-way through webdav, but not two-way. search on this forum for 'caldav', iirc evolution has good support for it. please vote on the bugzilla for zimbra caldav support! it's a shame because on corporate pc networks (as is the vast majority), you can't get calendar support outside of outlook which many houses refuse to use as policy.
the personal contacts thing is a major problem for enterprise deployment outside of outlook, in my opinion, and has stopped my little office installation from deploying the main zimbra features - currently all they see is just a bog standard email server.
[QUOTE]You can certainly connect evolution to Zimbra, what specifically isn't working that you think should be? Could you file any product enhancement requests in bugzilla, they'll get tracked by the zimbra team there - don't forget to vote for the enhancement if you file it.[/QUOTE]
that's not what he's asking.
14319KevinH
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby 14319KevinH » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:01 pm

It's on the roadmap but no firm date as to when we'll have something ready for beta.
theOlster

Postby theOlster » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:04 pm

I know this thread was started a while ago, but I wonder if there has been an update. I want to use Evolution/Thunderbird to connect to the Zimbra backend (is this the LDAP) and not have to use pop/imap. I want to be able to access, emails, contacts & calendar...
Is this possible, or should I be looking at something like open-xchange?
Andy.pflaum

Postby Andy.pflaum » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:21 am

The short answer is "yes", you can use Evolution for Zimbra email/calendar/contacts -- we just announced the beta availability of our Evolution connector here,
Please">https://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthread.php?p=40742#post40742
Please
note, this is a source code only release. Users will have to download the source from Zimbra's subversion repository and build it themselves.
Also, because this is a beta release, please consider it a testing tool for now, as we're not officially supporting it yet.
Rubble

Postby Rubble » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:33 am

Great to see there is a native solution for linux.
I don't suppose Kontact support is on the roadmap at all? I searched

forums and bugzilla but didn't see any interest.
948Centurion

Postby 948Centurion » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:03 pm

I use Kontact on my workstation in the office and would love to have proper calendar support and access to my personal address book on the Zimbra server. Additionally, it would be very useful to have access to shared calendars (other users' calendars that is) from Kontact too.
fajarpri
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby fajarpri » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:36 am

Yes, I use Kontact too, and am waiting for the release date :)

Bravo Zimbra.

I've voted for you in CCA.

Return to “Developers”