Warn before close

Have a great idea for extending Zimbra? Share ideas, ask questions, contribute, and get feedback.
1614robertl

Warn before close

Postby 1614robertl » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:46 pm

Hi,
Here is a question asked of me by our user base.
> 1. Golden oldie: Can Zimbra warn me before I accidentally close a

> message that I've composed but not sent? (After losing work a few

> times, I'm way more careful now. But it would be good to have an

> insurance policy.)
Does anyone forsee that happening in the future as a feature? I know with apps like DotProject that the browser will prompt when trying to close an unsaved session so I was just wondering if that kind of behavior will show up in Zimbra someday.
Thanks,

Bob

dkarp
Elite member
Elite member

Warn before close

Postby dkarp » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:48 pm

You're talking about when the user tries to close the browser window, right? If you just try to go to a different part of the Zimbra app, it should prompt you to save the unsent message as a draft.
1614robertl

Warn before close

Postby 1614robertl » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:44 pm

That is correct. This is a browser shutdown thing not the app. Users are using Firefox under windows.

I know Zimbra is an AJAX app and as opposed to some php thing like Dotproject it might be harder to make it chime in with a "You have unsaved data on this page..." type of warning.

I was just wondering if it might be a future thing.
Thanks,

Bob
pshah
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Warn before close

Postby pshah » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:55 am

This feature was implemented awhile ago. Not sure why you're not seeing this already? For example, everytime I log into my Zimbra account and attempt to navigate to a different website or even try to close the browser window, I get a confirmation dialog (see attached screenshot).
Do you not get this?

confirm_dialog.jpg

poulperouge

Warn before close

Postby poulperouge » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:45 pm

well on zimbra Open source 5.0.2 i have exactly the same problem.... that kind of alert only appear on the admin console, not on the web client....
no ideas?
pshah
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Warn before close

Postby pshah » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:02 pm

We re-did the logic on this due to a lot of complaints about being prompted everytime you want to close the browser.
So you should only get prompted now when editing something (i.e. composing a message, editing a contact, etc).
If doing something that wont cause you to lose any info such as reading your mail or viewing your calendar, and you close your browser, you won't be prompted.
poulperouge

Warn before close

Postby poulperouge » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:14 pm

well according to me that is a bad thing because people often close the window because they don t take care .... the warning was a good thing fot that....
well....

Return to “Developers”