IDLE-like support for web client

Have a great idea for extending Zimbra? Share ideas, ask questions, contribute, and get feedback.
Rich Graves
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby Rich Graves » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:35 am

Now that you have IDLE in the IMAP server, are you looking to do the same for the web?
The minimum 2-minute lag between email delivery and visibility in the web interface is going to be noticed by our users. Having them bang on "check mail" isn't in anyone's interest.
There are AJAX toolkits out there (used especially in the financial industry; heard some Dow Jones engineers talk about theirs about a year ago) that replace polling with persistent connections and server-push. The DJ guys said they were supporting 50,000 simultaneous real-time push connections per Dell 1850, using custom multithreaded C# code. It "should" be possible to scale Java similarly.

dkarp
Elite member
Elite member

Postby dkarp » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:33 pm

Yes, we'll be adding this functionality to the AJAX client in a future release. The infrastructure for this is already in place -- see some of the recent checkins on bug 7074 -- but tomcat (our current servlet container) requires a thread per connection in order to make that work, which won't scale. Once we support an alternative container (e.g. jetty), you should see this feature.
Rich Graves
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby Rich Graves » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:54 am

Okey-dokey, thanks for the explanation.
I guess our users will learn to hit "check mail" then. Guess that's no worse than the current habit of flapping in and out of INBOX in IMP or GroupWise Web Access.
Btw, the bug is private, so I can't vote for it.
yonatan
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby yonatan » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:31 pm

[quote user="dkarp"]Yes, we'll be adding this functionality to the AJAX client in a future release. The infrastructure for this is already in place -- see some of the recent checkins on bug 7074 -- but tomcat (our current servlet container) requires a thread per connection in order to make that work, which won't scale. Once we support an alternative container (e.g. jetty), you should see this feature.[/QUOTE]
I know that this is an old thread, but I'm using 6.0.9 and incoming emails are not appearing "instantly" as they do with a client mail app supporting IDLE. It seems as if the web client is polling with the default 5 min interval.
Does the web client support instant delivery?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:10 pm

[quote user="yonatan"]I know that this is an old thread, but I'm using 6.0.9 and incoming emails are not appearing "instantly" as they do with a client mail app supporting IDLE. It seems as if the web client is polling with the default 5 min interval.
Does the web client support instant delivery?[/QUOTE]No, it's polled for incoming email per the setting in the user preferences. IMAP idle is used when you connect to the server via an IMAP client only.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

If you'd like to see this implemented in a future version of ZCS then please vote on Bugzilla entries 97706 & 108168
yonatan
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby yonatan » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:54 pm

[quote user="10330phoenix"]No, it's polled for incoming email per the setting in the user preferences. IMAP idle is used when you connect to the server via an IMAP client only.[/QUOTE]
Ok, so what dkarp said above was never implemented or still work in progress?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:26 am

[quote user="yonatan"]Ok, so what dkarp said above was never implemented or still work in progress?[/QUOTE]I don't believe it's in the current Ajax client but I'm sure Dan will correct me if that's wrong. You will find that Zimbra Desktop gets email instantly for a connection to a Zimbra server.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

If you'd like to see this implemented in a future version of ZCS then please vote on Bugzilla entries 97706 & 108168
Rich Graves
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby Rich Graves » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:04 pm

It's been in the Ajax client since 6.0. Your account or CoS needs zimbraFeatureInstantNotify TRUE. In the web interface, that's Instant Messaging -> Enable instant notifications. I don't know if it's still supported in 7.0, from which IM is removed.
yonatan
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby yonatan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:51 pm

[quote user="Rich Graves"]It's been in the Ajax client since 6.0. Your account or CoS needs zimbraFeatureInstantNotify TRUE. In the web interface, that's Instant Messaging -> Enable instant notifications. I don't know if it's still supported in 7.0, from which IM is removed.[/QUOTE]
Rich, I just checked and by default "Instant Notifications" is enabled. However, I'm not receiving email via the web client "instantly". I'm not sure, but doesn't this option refer to the IM feature and has nothing to do with email.
Rich Graves
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby Rich Graves » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:19 pm

"Works for me." Set my prefs to poll only every 8 minutes, email a message, and it instantly shows up in Inbox. Email another message, instantly shows up.
There are two prefs settings, an umbrella for InstantNotify and another for IM.
It's posssible that something else is needed at the gacf, localconfig, server, or cos level, but I can't immediately find anything relevant.

Return to “Developers”