Installing zimbra with native debian lenny x86_64 packages

Have a great idea for extending Zimbra? Share ideas, ask questions, contribute, and get feedback.
raj2569

Postby raj2569 » Fri May 15, 2009 8:16 am

Hi,
My be I have too much time or want to learn how zimbra works or thinks that packages from debian should be used where ever possible, any way, I am exploring if I can just configure pure debian packages in such a way that zimbra can use them instead of just compiling an installing a custom version of all open source packages.
I am having a debian lenny x86_64 box and there is no zimbra available for it. So I am thinking rather than just building all from source why not just configure zimbra so that it can just use the debian packages where ever possible. This *theoretically* has the advantage that upgrading clamav etc will be independent of zimbra and can use the full power of debian package repository.
I have no idea if what I am attempting is stupid or not but I have not seen any one attempting to do this. So just checking with community if there are any major road blocks ahead of my path :)
raj

uxbod
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby uxbod » Fri May 15, 2009 8:28 am

Yep, the packages have been modified for Zimbra use :) I would really not attempt this for three reasons 1) Will most probably fail 2) Issues when ZCS is upgraded 3) No support. Sorry :(

Return to “Developers”