Behaviour of Zimlets with Zimbra 5.0

Interested in talking about Mash-up's? This is the place.
gil.fernandes

Postby gil.fernandes » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:15 pm

Hello,
I am trying to develop Zimlets using Zimbra 5.0 . I have noticed the following behaviour that makes for me the development quite difficult:
When you deploy a Zimlet via the administration console (usually on port 7071), everything goes fine. Ok, I notice I have some bug in my Zimlet, then I undeploy it via the console. Ok, this also goes fine. But yet, wait, when I start Firebug against the running Zimbra client, I see in script Zimlet-nodev_all.js.zgz still the code of the Javascript code of the undeployed Zimlet.
Is this behaviour normal? You undeploy a Zimlet and you still see have the "dead" code on the client? Is this a feature? :confused:
What is the best strategy to develop Zimlets under Zimbra 5.0 . Is there some configuration options I should turn on? Which is the strategy you can use to develop Zimlets in a confortable way under Zimbra 5.0? Any idea ...?
Kind regards,
Gil Fernandes

mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby mmorse » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:14 pm

Welcome to the forums,
First I would suggest using a test box where you can restart jetty.

You can append &dev=1 which forces the zimlet source files to load separately. But while this eliminates the modular loading, caching, and also the minimization, it does change the overall behavior.

I believe you can also increment the version in the xml file but I personally don't.

Note: There is a known issue with the _dev folder not working ZimletWritingTip - Zimbra :: Wiki

([url=Bug 19944 - Dev deployment of zimlets doesn't work[/url] is one of them)
gil.fernandes

Postby gil.fernandes » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Great !
When I try dev=1, then I see in Firebug each one of the scripts. This is a big help already.

Concerning restart of jetty, I already am running a test box on which I can restart it at any time. Yet I do not know how to restart it. I must confess I am a newbie to Jetty. How do you do it?
Thanks for the valuable suggestion, Mike,
Gil
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby mmorse » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:43 pm

su zimbra

zmmailboxdctl restart
jholder
Zimbra Employee
Zimbra Employee

Postby jholder » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:58 pm

File a bug. &dev=1 isn't meant to be run all the time, and makes Zimbra much slower.
This is likely related to lazy loading.
JoshuaPrismon
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby JoshuaPrismon » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:42 pm

[quote user="jholder"]File a bug. &dev=1 isn't meant to be run all the time, and makes Zimbra much slower.
This is likely related to lazy loading.[/QUOTE]
I am going to try and duplicate this behavior.
tdesorbaix
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby tdesorbaix » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:52 am

Comment for Gil: I have this behavior too. When I undeploy a zimlet, the zimlet is not activated anymore but files are not removed. Is this normal?
PS : It is not only in 5.0, me I had it on 4.5

Return to “Zimlets”