ZimbraCheck firefox extension

Post feedback about our hosted demo or your local install. Tell us what you love and/or what you’d like to see added in the future.
tim brennan
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby tim brennan » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:59 pm

I got a little bored sometime over the holidays and decided to learn a little Javascript. Since I'd been beta testing the HTML client, which doesn't refresh itself automatically, what I really wanted was something that could notify me when I got new mail.
I cobbled together a really simple little Firefox extension that periodically checks the server and puts a notification in the statusbar if there is new mail. The notification is clickable: it brings up a popup menu with the titles of the first 10 new messages in your account -- and if you're runnining v4.5 or later -- choosing an entry from the menu can take you directly to the message in the HTML client (unfortunately there's no direct-to-message URL support for the Ajax client, so clicking on a menu entry just takes you to the client).
You can install it from: http://curple.com/zimbracheck/.
Don't forget to configure it after you install -- it needs your server name, user name, and all that. It only works in FF, and very possibly might not even work for you -- did I mention this was my first ever Javascript program? I have been using it for about a month now, however, so it should be somewhat stable.
Known Issue: the extension doesn't handle auth token expiration correctly, and so once yours expires (after ~24 hours by default I think) you will need to quit and restart the browser.
Oh yah, and just to be ultra-clear: this is something I did on my own time and is completely unsupported by Zimbra. So don't go asking the support people for help with it -- they'll just come yelling at me, and then I'll have to remove the download and nobody will be able to use it.

Makalo

Postby Makalo » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:08 am

The extension works well, except that when I click on an entry i get an error
The requested resource (/zimbra/h/search) is not available.
Is there another extension or resource that I need to install on browser or my server?
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:21 am

Welcome to the forums.
That looks like it may be for the 4.5 release of Zimbra, what version are you running?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

If you'd like to see this implemented in a future version of ZCS then please vote on Bugzilla entries 97706 & 108168
Makalo

Postby Makalo » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:31 am

Thanks Bill

I'm still running the older release 4.0.3, that could be the problem.
I was too excited to find this extension being available, as my freind and I were discussing the possibility of developing something similar. That could be the reason I missed the part:

and if you're runnining v4.5 or later -- choosing an entry from the menu can take you directly to the message
I seriously have to upgrade.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:33 am

Yes, I've just tested it and as you've already seen it is 4.5 - the clue is the 'zimbra/h' bit of the search as that's the link to the Zimbra lite client.
It works quite well, though. Well done Tim.:)
Regards

Bill

If you'd like to see this implemented in a future version of ZCS then please vote on Bugzilla entries 97706 & 108168
tim brennan
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby tim brennan » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:47 pm

[quote user="Makalo"]The extension works well, except that when I click on an entry i get an error
The requested resource (/zimbra/h/search) is not available.
Is there another extension or resource that I need to install on browser or my server?[/QUOTE]
There's a checkbox in the preferences panel -- "Links go to HTML client (Zimbra v4.5 required)" -- Uncheck that if you are using Zimbra
8228cdamon
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby 8228cdamon » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:37 pm

[quote user="tim brennan"]There's a checkbox in the preferences panel -- "Links go to HTML client (Zimbra v4.5 required)" -- Uncheck that if you are using Zimbra
Actually, the Ajax client supports that, with the following query string args: view=msg&id=12345
premoddev
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby premoddev » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:35 am

Hi All,
I have installed ZimbraCheckFirefox Extention. After configuring it, it showing an icon in the right down side of firefox. When i clicking on the message name on that icon it launches the application, but it is not able to login me directly with the credentials given by me.It is giving an error as Authentication required. Is there any way to make it work in this way. And one more thing when i click on the check zimbra mail option from the tools menu..it always showing "there is no unread messages on the server"...
Pls help me
regards

premoddev
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:46 am

You realise that this is an unsupported add-on? The obvious question is, are you using the correct username/password in the configuration? It's working for me.
Regards

Bill

premoddev
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby premoddev » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:05 am

Hi Bill,
Yes I am using the correct username/password. And I am using 4.5 version of ZCS and firfox version is 2.0.0.1. I have un-installed the add-on and when i try to re install , it wont installing also.
Regards

Premod

Return to “Users”