ActiveSync for OpenSource Edition

Post feedback about our hosted demo or your local install. Tell us what you love and/or what you’d like to see added in the future.
friedmar
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby friedmar » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:00 am

This brings us back to the License policy. For small companies/users between 5 to 10 mailboxes there is no resonable solution. Why do you not offer Packs in 5 Users? Lets say 200$ for 5 Users (40 $/user) incl. mobile?

uxbod
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby uxbod » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:02 am

I don't know as most moderators do not work for Zimbra and provide our time free of charge :) Perhaps the question should be directed to Zimbra sales. They should be able to help you with any licensing concerns.
Klug
Elite member
Elite member

Postby Klug » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:53 am

The answer to "tiny needs" (less than the minimum licence) is "hosted service", as already suggested.
friedmar
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby friedmar » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:55 am

I know we had this discussion already. But if for some reasons I could not us a hoster I need to go to SBS. Sorry!
uxbod
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby uxbod » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:03 pm

That would be your choice; though have you contacted sales and asked them ?
Oswald-Kolle
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby Oswald-Kolle » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:56 am

[quote user="uxbod"]If Zimbra were to provide everything for free, within the Community Edition, then they would not have a very good business model :)[/QUOTE]

Well - I think that this wouldn't affect the business model! Private persons (a family for example) wouldn't pay for a business solution.

The community-edition could get "additional features" (like mobile Version and ActiveSync Client) under the GPL that these features are only allowed for privates / non profits. And - if this is a must - with further restrictions / less licenses)
Oswald-Kolle
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby Oswald-Kolle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:20 am

I contacted sales and had a little conversation/discussion...
It seems like zimbra (not the person I contacted) is not willed to change their licencing policy! Therefore it is not possible to get ActiveSync as a private person for less than 25 paid licences. :mad:
I cannot understand why their policy is that strict! Now I have to rething about using zimbra or try to use scalix....
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:43 am

[quote user="Oswald-Kolle"]It seems like zimbra (not the person I contacted) is not willed to change their licencing policy! Therefore it is not possible to get ActiveSync as a private person for less than 25 paid licences. :mad:
I cannot understand why their policy is that strict![/QUOTE]It should not be a surprise to anyone, that has always been the policy (it's also published on the web site) and has been discussed on the forums several times.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
Oswald-Kolle
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby Oswald-Kolle » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:16 am

Yes - that's right - it has been discussed several times...

Thats why it is that surprising! The demand for smaller licence-packages is very huge - therefore it is not understandable why they do not change their policys!
I looked for a couple of hosting-partners in Germany - and they are extremly expensive, too! When I would need 5 users with mobile access - it woul be already cheaper for me to buy a 25-licence-package with zimbra mobile and host it myself... Very strange the whole thing...
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:20 am

[quote user="Oswald-Kolle"]Yes - that's right - it has been discussed several times...

Thats why it is that surprising! The demand for smaller licence-packages is very huge - therefore it is not understandable why they do not change their policys![/QUOTE]The word 'huge' doesn't actually tell how many people want it, do you have some survey or figures to back that comment?
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra

Return to “Users”