zdb compaction not compacting

Ask your questions and get help with Zimbra's Outlook Connector.
karlfunk

Postby karlfunk » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:05 am

Hi,

I had a fairly large zdb file (about 7GB). Cleaned out a lot of stuff into pst files.

Then compacted. This got the zdb file down to 5GB, not great, so *lots* more cleaning out.
Now I have Outlook reporting a total folder size of about 300MB.

But compacting does not reduce the zdb file below 5GB and it returns suspiciously quickly.
What can I do to get the 5GB down to something that is similar to the 300MB that is actually being used?
Cheers,

Karl.

fsiegel
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Postby fsiegel » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:08 pm

If it's only 300 MB, your best bet is probably to create a new profile and initial sync. 300MB shouldn't take more than a few minutes.
jwhitaker

Postby jwhitaker » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:01 pm

I think the bigger question is why do ZDB files get so large? I have an 8GB one, trying to compact can literally run for hours and produces not much change, and I've never had over about 400MB of mail - in fact, my COS quota is 1GB.
This topic exists in several threads but the answer seems to always be "don't have so much mail" or "just start with a new ZDB". Those are not the simplest options for our end users who are starting to show up with 6, 7 or 8GB ZDB files.
Do we know what the deal is with these things getting so big? Can we avoid it somehow?
15127Michi

Postby 15127Michi » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:47 am

Same issue here!

I´ve activated my BB device for 5 days and the zdb file is already 200mb big. I´ve currently 25mails on my BB device and a few calendar entries.

Yesterday I´ve checked the zdb file, it was 186mb big, today it has already 200mb, I just got 5 new mails without attachements over the night.

Return to “Zimbra Connector for Outlook”