Is Zimbra Desktop DEAD ?

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
demanl
Advanced member
Advanced member

Is Zimbra Desktop DEAD ?

Postby demanl » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:20 am

Hi,
I apologize if I offend or panic anyone by asking this question;
Is Zimbra Desktop Application DEAD..?
The latest ANNOUNCEMENT that I could find concerning Zimbra Desktop was dated 07-24-2011.
And I really really like the desktop application and would hate to see it no longer developed........but I just see here in the forums people having trouble with it on MORE CURRENT operating systems (ex. ubuntu 12.04, etc) with 1 answer stating to install older(deprecated) packages in order to meet the Zimbra Desktop requirements.
Anyone...?
Hopefully a Zimbra Moderator or Employee can answer this for me/us :)
Cheers.

xjohn

Is Zimbra Desktop DEAD ?

Postby xjohn » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:49 pm

Hi Demanl,
I work for a long-time Zimbra hosting provider and we thought the product was going away so I asked the same question about 3 weeks ago. Fortunately, it appears that it is not going away and that they have made many improvements that we can expect soon. (Hopefully in Q2.)
Like you, we are looking forward to keeping the Desktop application.
Best,

John

XMission, Zimbra Product Manager

hosted email solution | cloud email | email and collaboration :: USA - XMission
demanl
Advanced member
Advanced member

Is Zimbra Desktop DEAD ?

Postby demanl » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:36 pm

Ty xjohn for your informative response...sounds good..:)
mtiernan

Is Zimbra Desktop DEAD ?

Postby mtiernan » Thu May 01, 2014 11:48 am

[quote user="xjohn"]Hi Demanl,

I work for a long-time Zimbra hosting provider and we thought the product was going away so I asked the same question about 3 weeks ago. Fortunately, it appears that it is not going away and that they have made many improvements that we can expect soon. (Hopefully in Q2.)

[/QUOTE]
It's a little disheartening that a hosting provider didn't/doesn't know the status of it.
It also worries me a bit that there haven't been any official replies. :(
I had used it for a long time and enjoyed it and decided to try some alternatives but want to come back to try this again and am hoping for the best.
Klug
Elite member
Elite member

Is Zimbra Desktop DEAD ?

Postby Klug » Fri May 02, 2014 5:17 am

The most up to date information (yet) are in the "Partners forum" here...
mtiernan

Is Zimbra Desktop DEAD ?

Postby mtiernan » Fri May 02, 2014 6:53 am

[quote]THE MOST UP TO DATE INFORMATION (YET) ARE IN THE "PARTNERS FORUM" HERE...[/QUOTE]

• THE "PARTNERS FORUM" IS ONLY ACCESSIBLE BY REGISTERED PARTNERS. NOT THAT THIS ISN'T OBVIOUS BUT IT'S AN UNHELPFUL RESPONSE TO THE *CUSTOMERS* PAYING OR NOT.

• HOW ABOUT TAKING A MOMENT OF *YOUR* TIME, SINCE YOU'RE EXTREMELY FAMILY WITH THE LOCATION OF THIS FORUM AND POST A LINK TO IT? WHY? GLAD YOU ASKED. BECAUSE ONE IS GIVEN THE IMPRESSION THAT THIS FORM IS PART OF "THESE" FORUMS AND NOT IN ANOTHER PART OF THE WEBSITE. SO, WE HAVE TO TRY AND FIND THE PLACE YOU'RE SPEAKING OF. A MUCH MORE CORRECT BUT "SHORT" ANSWER IS:

"THE PARTNERS ONLY FORUM. FOR REGISTERED PARTNERS ONLY, IS FOUND IN A SEPARATE SECTION OF THE WEBSITE, ACCESSIBLE BY THE 'PARTNERS' BUTTON AT THE TOP OF THIS SCREEN."

• HOW ABOUT ADDRESSING THE ISSUE IN QUESTION?

Klug
Elite member
Elite member

Is Zimbra Desktop DEAD ?

Postby Klug » Fri May 02, 2014 10:38 am

1. My bad, I misread your post (thought you were a partner). I'm sorry.
2. Direct link to the thread (that gives you the subforum URL too): https://www.zimbra.com/forums/zimbra-partners/70645-zimbra-desktop-status-update-request-q2-2014-a.html

However, as you said, it's for partners only 8(
3. I speak for myself here: I unfortunately have no addtionnal information 8(

I know (from the "private" thread) that there's a team (at least one guy) working on fixing bugs of zDesktop while porting it to Chromium instead of Prism (that will bring users a much better speed).

Bugs are being fixed daily, here's a direct link (last fixes on top):
I">https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/buglist.cgi?list_id=61800&order=changeddate%20DESC%2Cbug_id%20DESC&product=ZD&query_based_on=&query_format=advanced&resolution=FIXED
I
have no release date yet, we all hope it would be in May (at least Q2).
ccelis5215
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15.GA.3869.UBUNTU18.64 P9

Is Zimbra Desktop DEAD ?

Postby ccelis5215 » Fri May 02, 2014 6:44 pm

[quote user="8141Klug"]

Bugs are being fixed daily, here's a direct link (last fixes on top):
I">https://bugzilla.zimbra.com/buglist.cgi?list_id=61800&order=changeddate%20DESC%2Cbug_id%20DESC&product=ZD&query_based_on=&query_format=advanced&resolution=FIXED
I
have no release date yet, we all hope it would be in May (at least Q2).[/QUOTE]
After seeing this, just have to say that we have a clue about work invested by the team.
And, of course, we just forget that ZDesktop is FOSS.
ccelis
Jack221144

Is Zimbra Desktop DEAD ?

Postby Jack221144 » Mon May 05, 2014 11:45 am

There are major bugs in ZD 2011 flavor and the Web Client is not mature enough to replace it. There seems to be a disconnect before Taligent bought it. I think VMware dropped the ball as far as not having consideration for existing users.

Return to “General Questions”