Zimbra Desktop - Magically uninstalling itself?

If Zimbra Desktop had a sync failure, it may have told you to post your error in this section.
bsaxon

Postby bsaxon » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:05 am

I setup a user with Zimbra Desktop and moved a lot of their mail to Local Folders to free up some disk space on the server.
The user has used it fine for a few days.
This morning, they said when they double-clicked the desktop icon, that the icon disappeared.
Well, I took a look and I couldn't find the application or any of the data. I had thought I was just going to recreate a shortcut.
Has anyone heard of Zimbra magically uninstalling itself and deleting all of the application data?
Also, am I correct to assume that if the folder C:Documents and Settings%username%Application DataYahoo!Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop is EMPTY, that means that everything they had in their local Zimbra Desktop Local Folders is gone?
EDIT: I talked with the user again. They told me that it had prompted them to install an update. She tried to proceed with the update, but it uninstalled instead.

John.Marsden

Postby John.Marsden » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:11 am

Try looking in C:zimbra.
Also consult the Wiki page at Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop - Zimbra :: Wiki particularly the section on manually uninstalling.
jmhe
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby jmhe » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:01 pm

a new update always first uninstalls any previous installation. maybe after uninstallation, installer somehow quit.
in the old installation directory, do you see a .install4j directory? can you upload the installation.log in that directory?
otherwise, can you just have the user download the latest from zimbra.com and try to install again? most likely user data will not be lost.
bsaxon

Postby bsaxon » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:14 pm

There is nothing (0 bytes) in that directory. I will try to re-install and see what happens, but I don't see any evidance of data.
jmhe
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby jmhe » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:35 pm

is that a directory user picked? (C:Documents and Settings%username%Application DataYahoo!Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop") - that's not the default installation directory and you should not use a path contains "!" (a known java limitation).
which version/build user had before?
jjzhuang
Elite member
Elite member

Postby jjzhuang » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:04 pm

On windows the default location should be:
Windows XP - C:Documents and Settings\Local SettingsApplication Dataimbrazdesktop

Windows Vista - C:Users\AppDataLocalimbrazdesktop
super-e-

Postby super-e- » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:56 am

Sorry but this is silly, Zimbra Desktop used to default to

C:Documents and Settings%username%Application DataYahoo!Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop
and this corrupted the update process, as far as I understand... it happened to 3 of my clients, which I installed long ago. I reinstalled using the latest build (1.0.1593) and the Local Folders are GONE.
I looked throughout all the possible folders and even used an "undelete" program... no success... all the locally stored emails are lost... isn't this just silly??

Return to “Error Reports”