iPhone 2.0 Software and ActiveSync Work...but...

Take your Zimbra with you!
jjzhuang
Elite member
Elite member

Postby jjzhuang » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:57 pm

if you want to use domain in user name, use backslash instead of forward slash.

mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby mmorse » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:56 pm

Zimbra Mobile for iPhone » Zimbra :: Blog
jrh

Postby jrh » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:26 pm

So thanks to this thread I got it working and it's truly a beautiful thing. Push is working great, it even consistently beats out my desktop with web client set to check every 2 minutes. I couldn't believe have how fast it opened up 5mb+ pdf files, which it seems it had already downloaded at some point. Plus, contact pictures now get sent back to Zimbra, which never worked with my pocketpc.
But now I would like to know why SSL doesn't work for the exchange sync. Port 443 is open to the zimbra server, but I do not have a commercial certificate (no complaints from the iphone about that, just guessing). Is that perhaps the reason?
jjzhuang
Elite member
Elite member

Postby jjzhuang » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:34 pm

[quote user="jrh"]So thanks to this thread I got it working and it's truly a beautiful thing. Push is working great, it even consistently beats out my desktop with web client set to check every 2 minutes. I couldn't believe have how fast it opened up 5mb+ pdf files, which it seems it had already downloaded at some point. Plus, contact pictures now get sent back to Zimbra, which never worked with my pocketpc.
But now I would like to know why SSL doesn't work for the exchange sync. Port 443 is open to the zimbra server, but I do not have a commercial certificate (no complaints from the iphone about that, just guessing). Is that perhaps the reason?[/QUOTE]
SSL should work just fine, although I have not tried any self-signed certificates.
Contacts sync of pictures is new in 5.0.7, which should also work for pocketpc.
cwb

Postby cwb » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:39 pm

Does anyone have any insight into exactly how the push works, and what its effect will be on battery life?
I just added Zimbra as an ActiveSync account on my iPhone, and despite being connected to WiFi my computer speakers are going absolutely bonkers with GSM noise.
The phone appears to be "sleeping," but at this rate I can't imagine there is any way I will get through the day on a charge.
Thanks,

Craig
jrh

Postby jrh » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:17 pm

[quote user="jjzhuang"]SSL should work just fine, although I have not tried any self-signed certificates.

[/QUOTE]

Anybody have it working with self-signed? Don't really want to go drop $300 to cover all my domains just so I can have SSL, but if it means new iphones can more easily join I probably will. After demoing off the iphone in the office and seeing how well it handles emails I can see us replacing all the blackberries pretty quickly.
[quote user="jjzhuang"]

Contacts sync of pictures is new in 5.0.7, which should also work for pocketpc.

[/QUOTE]

I did just upgrade to 5.0.7 the night before so that explains that.
troyd

Postby troyd » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:40 am

I just went through this (right up to considering paying a trusted authority). Here's to make a self-signed cert work: Inputs & Outputs » Self-signed IMAP SSL certs on iPhone
Troy
mmorse
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby mmorse » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:37 pm

Welcome to the forums & thanks for the tip Troy!

[quote]

When adding a new Account, iPhone setup will pop up a dialog to confirm the shady self-signed certificate. Even with that acknowledged, it will try to connect and eventually time out. The warning doesnÂ’t mention (nor prompt to install) the root certificate, which will make the cogs turn. Put the CA root cert on any Web server (.crt extension and application/x-x509-ca-cert MIME type), then hit the URL in Safari from the phone.

YouÂ’ll see an Install Profile dialog like in the Enterprise Deployment Guide:[/quote]
16218Spencer
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby 16218Spencer » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:40 pm

A little off topic.. What data plan should our users get? Will they need the enterprise plan? I know in the past, we have just gotten the standard data plans with the windows mobile and palm.
Thanks

Return to “Mobility”