Google Android and Zimbra

Take your Zimbra with you!
kbelzowski

Postby kbelzowski » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:13 pm

From my testing and my research there is not a way to get read/write access to your Zimbra calendar through Google Calendar. If there is and you know of a way that works then I'm all ears.
If by "exchange emulation" you mean funanbol then I don't know because I haven't tried that.

bdial
Elite member
Elite member

Postby bdial » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:40 am

has anyone found a widget to display the number of unread messages in your inbox? I found plenty for gmail but none for the regular corporate mail.
CaptainFiesta

Postby CaptainFiesta » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:21 pm

To just get mail I've had good results with K-9 on the G1. No contacts and calendar but it's a great IMAP client and even supports IMAP push (works very well BTW).
k9mail - Project Hosting on Google Code
11648ingo

Postby 11648ingo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:45 am

My HTC Hero mail was working fine for a while. After a few weeks I could still see my e-mails and delete them but it was not possible to send out e-mails any longer. Calendar items placed on the HTC are no longer visible in ZIMBRA.
As ZIMBRA says "Wont fix" (Bug 41145 – Support for HTC Hero (Running Android OS with ActiveSync support)) I contacted HTC.
This is what they replied:
HTC: Dear ... Thank you for your Inquiry about Server If you wish i can escalate this to see if it can get looked into, but as stated in my previous mail if it is not affecting a large amount of people if may not be deemed a issue. Please reply if you wish me to escalate this for you. If these steps have not helped, please let me know by responding using the link provided and I will be happy to check again for you. Best regards, ...
Me: Dear ..., Thank you for your reply. Can you please escalate the error. With kind regards, ...
HTC: Dear ... Thank you for your Inquiry about Zimbra I have looked into this and if it is not OFFICIAL exchange hardware and software it is not supported by HTC. If these steps have not helped, please let me know by responding using the link provided and I will be happy to check again for you. Best regards,

Conclusion:

* ZIMBRA: WONTFIX

* HTC: WONTFIX

User left alone :(
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:57 am

[quote user="11648ingo"]Conclusion:

* ZIMBRA: WONTFIX[/QUOTE]The reason the bug is 'wontfix' is because it's a problem on the particular handset/firmware, the fact that Exchange accepts invalid encoding does not make it an issue that Zimbra should 'fix'. The reason why it's wontfix is outline in comment #10 in the bug report.

[quote user="11648ingo"]* HTC: WONTFIX

User left alone :([/QUOTE]Then perhaps you ought to point out to HTC that it's a problem with their firmware and why they should fix it, if they're happy to ship broken firmware then there isn't much Zimbra can do about that.
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

If you'd like to see this implemented in a future version of ZCS then please vote on Bugzilla entries 97706 & 108168
11648ingo

Postby 11648ingo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:10 am

[quote user="10330phoenix"]The reason the bug is 'wontfix' is because it's a problem on the particular handset/firmware, the fact that Exchange accepts invalid encoding does not make it an issue that Zimbra should 'fix'. [/QUOTE]
On the ZIMBRA website you claim "ZCS is currently interoperable with Microsoft Exchange 2003 and 2007". Thus: "device works with Exchange" should lead to "device works with ZIMBRA". Easy as that. I can not see why you can not apply such a minor tweak.
11648ingo

Postby 11648ingo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:13 am

[quote user="10330phoenix"]Then perhaps you ought to point out to HTC that it's a problem with their firmware and why they should fix it, if they're happy to ship broken firmware then there isn't much Zimbra can do about that.[/QUOTE]
I already did this but this is not solving the problem all HTC Hero/Zimbra users have (which is not a very rare combination).
uxbod
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby uxbod » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:26 am

[quote user="11648ingo"]On the ZIMBRA website you claim "ZCS is currently interoperable with Microsoft Exchange 2003 and 2007". Thus: "device works with Exchange" should lead to "device works with ZIMBRA". Easy as that. I can not see why you can not apply such a minor tweak.[/QUOTE]And indeed ZCS is interoperable with MS. Perhaps if MS fixed Exchange and only allow valid encoding then quite quickly you would see a lot Hero client not working. From what I read the bottom line is that the firmware is wrong and need to be fixed. Simples ;)
11648ingo

Postby 11648ingo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:36 am

My mail to HTC:
Dear ..,
Thank you for coming back to me. Before closing this issue I just want to state that I am not satisfied with HTCs attitude at all.
There is a clear technical fault discovered in the HTC software:
The message composed on the device has an invalid Content-Transfer-Encoding like this: Content-Type: text/html; charset= utf-8 (note the space) Content-Transfer-Encoding: utf-8 Content-Disposition: inline
Because ( utf-8) is not a valid Content-Transfer-Encoding, javamail parser is choking on that.
I can not understand why HTC puts the energy in explaining why the error should remain in the software instead of fixing it.
Kind regards,

Mail from HTC:
Dear ...,
Thank you for your Inquiry about Exchange I have noted this, however we develop our systems to work with exchange and not zimbra. This is 3rd party hardware and not supported. If you had a microsoft exchange server we would investigate. However this is not and will have issues with our services.
Best regards, ...

Bottom line:

Classical dead lock! :o
11648ingo

Postby 11648ingo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:40 am

[quote user="uxbod"]... Perhaps if MS fixed Exchange ...[/QUOTE]
Great idea! So I just write a mail to Bill Gates and my ZIMBRA/HTC Android issues will get fixed.
Why did I ever wasted my time on this forum?

Return to “Mobility”