Sync support for Android 2.0? (ie Verizon Droid)

Take your Zimbra with you!
robertcl

Postby robertcl » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:08 am

Motorola apparently briefly posted the specs for the upcoming Verizon Droid phone on their Web site before taking it down which revealed that the device will have MS Exchange synchronization support. I'm wondering if this may mean that is will work with Zimbra's EAS support out of the box or if Zimbra support is otherwise planned.

y@w
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member

Postby y@w » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:06 am

While I haven't tried an Android phone yet (but would like to very much), it looks like others have had mixed luck. If you search for Android in the forums you'll find a number of threads about Android typically working partially. There's also a couple of open bugs which would indicate that they plan on supporting it over ActiveSync, though it looks like support isn't quite there yet.
According to this bug report, it looks like everything works except for sending mail. I would assume that 2.0 would be in a similar situation, but don't have any sure answers :)
robertcl

Postby robertcl » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:31 pm

[quote user="y@w"]While I haven't tried an Android phone yet (but would like to very much), it looks like others have had mixed luck. If you search for Android in the forums you'll find a number of threads about Android typically working partially. There's also a couple of open bugs which would indicate that they plan on supporting it over ActiveSync, though it looks like support isn't quite there yet.
According to this bug report, it looks like everything works except for sending mail. I would assume that 2.0 would be in a similar situation, but don't have any sure answers :)[/QUOTE]Thanks. I was under the impression that EAS support would be new to the Android platform with v2.0. I didn't realize that there was at least partial support previously with 1.x. Keeping fingers crossed that the Droid works with Zimbra out of the box. Maybe wishful thinking but I guess we'll know next month regardless.
robertcl

Postby robertcl » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:39 pm

Looks like Google will be providing official support for Exchange with Android 2.0. Not sure what this means for Zimbra yet but at least this is built into the OS and not a handset OEM add-on. I'm hoping that the Zimbra developers are all over this.
Android 2.0 Platform Highlights | Android Developers

[QUOTE]Multiple accounts can be added to a device for email and contact synchronization, including Exchange accounts. (Handset manufacturers can choose whether to include Exchange support in their devices.)[/QUOTE]
krbaker

Postby krbaker » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:33 pm

Roadsync works pretty well with Android. Though its still buggy.
robertcl

Postby robertcl » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:49 pm

Big News, it works! I just installed the Android 2.0 SDK and created a virtual device and was able to set up a zimbra account without issue. I just choose Exchange as the account type and it just works. Email and contacts sync in both directions and I was able to send out mail from the emulator without issue. There's no calendar function in the emulator so I haven't able to test that yet. It looks like the Droid may be a very interesting option for Zimbra users indeed.
vooba

Postby vooba » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:50 pm

i have just tested the z-push zimbra backend, which is currently under development, with the new android 2.0 sdk and it works! (http://www.zimbra.com/forums/administrators/26536-zimbra-contact-backend-z-push-2.html)
robertcl

Postby robertcl » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:57 pm

EAS support seems to work quite well. One problem I've noticed is there is no HTML message support on the Zimbra account. I added a gmail account on the virtual device and HTML emails do display correctly. I hope that Zimbra has plans to support the platform as they have with the iPhone. Perhaps someone from Zimbra can chime in.
bdial
Elite member
Elite member

Postby bdial » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:26 am

[quote user="robertcl"]EAS support seems to work quite well. One problem I've noticed is there is no HTML message support on the Zimbra account. I added a gmail account on the virtual device and HTML emails do display correctly. I hope that Zimbra has plans to support the platform as they have with the iPhone. Perhaps someone from Zimbra can chime in.[/QUOTE]
Bug 18608 – Support for Windows Mobile 6 (WM6) HTML mail
even though the bug says WM6 it's probably more of an actievsync thing and will resolve both WM and android when ti's fixed.
endianx

Postby endianx » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:40 pm

Will this work with the Open Source Edition?

Return to “Mobility”