What did you like and not like about the old forums?
- L. Mark Stone
- Elite member
- Posts: 2187
- Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:35 am
- Location: Portland, Maine, US
- ZCS/ZD Version: 8.8.15 Network Edition
As re the old forums, I liked:
- The Advanced Search feature.
- That Google pretty much indexed the whole site for us, in case my Advanced Search failed.
- The 30+ bookmarks in my browser pointing to relevant content I used frequently; content that isn't in the Administrators Guide
- That I could PM someone
- That I could see if someone I wanted to PM was logged in already or not
- The Unread Posts button
- The Mark All As Read button
- The compact format for rapid scrolling through unread posts across all sections
- That I could see how many posts someone had made while reading their current post, as well as snippets of their profile
- That I could easily get a listing of all of a user's posts
- That the forum software would suggest Tags
- The email notifications
- Single line spacing during Compose when hitting the Return key
Hopefully this doesn't come across as too curmudgeonly! Nothing is constant and I don't typically mind change, but vBulletin has a lot more years of development behind it than does Community, and for a much narrower use case than the broad range of use cases Community is intended to address. Not saying we can't use Community effectively in place of the now-departed forums, but to address discussion forum use cases some more discussion forum features in Community would be welcomed.
Thanks for asking, and listening!
All the best, Mark
Thank you for this constructive feedback, Mark. I really appreciate it. [:)] I don't have immediate answers for the majority of your notes, but I will definitely make sure our team sees them. Maybe we can make some adjustments soon. As for #4, you can still send a private message to people in this community. A member can decide to not allow people to contact them via private messages, but I think that feature was true in the old forums too.
On #3, I am not sure, but yes, I do not think bookmarks were able to be imported. I will follow up with the team to be certain. But, you can start making new bookmarks. Just click on the little gray ribbon looking icon near your avtara at the top of the page. It will show you your recent bookmaks and allow you to bookmark the page youa re on.
On #9, if you scroll over someone's name or avatar, a brief bio appears with options for contacting that person. Plus, you can click "Recent Activity" at the bottom of the bio to get a list of that person' most recent activities.
On #10, if you go to a member's profile, you can click "Activity" and see a list of that person's activities in the community.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests