Zimbra font size 6? 7? and no way to change it? ? ABSURD

General discussion about Zimbra Desktop.
Meenie

Postby Meenie » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:08 pm

I can't see what's in my email because the font on Zimbra is set somewhere in the microscopic range and apparently there's no where to change it. What kind of idiocy is this???

Apparently there's no way to change the view to a readable font size without going into the registry which I'm not touching with a 10 foot pole.

Is this going to be fixed? Or do I need to uninstall this worthless program?

Meenie

Postby Meenie » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:07 am

Thank you, Jenn, I appreciate your input.

This is my home computer, I'm the administrator, I'm the only one who uses this computer.

I can't find where to get the version # but I just downloaded it yesterday so I would assume it to be the latest version for windows - I have windows Vista Home Premium.

I'm accessing it from my computer, I was looking for a program to replace Windows Mail. Please please tell me how you adjust your fonts, because I can find nowhere to do it in the program.

I looked through the forum and the only thing I could find was that it's not possible, except one person who wrote a long involved post about going into the registry and changing things there that I'm not about to attempt. It's not worth screwing up my whole computer for a program that can't include simple menu items for making it usable.
Here's one of the answers to this problem that I found on the forum - this is from a Zimbra employee:

Zimbra Employee
Jan 2007

we don't have a way to change fonts yet.
Meenie

Postby Meenie » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:38 am

Ok I found the version - sort of!

I had to right click on the Zimbra that is on my taskbar to find this.

Zimbra Desktop 7.2.5 GA (build...)

Cannot read the build because that goes OFF THE SCREEN AND THERE'S NO WAY TO SCROLL TO SEE IT! What a crap program.
Brad_C
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby Brad_C » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:37 am

[quote user="Meenie"]Ok I found the version - sort of!

I had to right click on the Zimbra that is on my taskbar to find this.

Zimbra Desktop 7.2.5 GA (build...)

Cannot read the build because that goes OFF THE SCREEN AND THERE'S NO WAY TO SCROLL TO SEE IT! What a crap program.[/QUOTE]
Next to the help menu in the top right there is a little arrow. Click on that, and then click "About".
See, not so hard.
I don't have your font issue because I use Linux and Mac, but I installed Windows on a spare partition and then installed the Windows version of Zimbra there. My fonts are the same size as all windows system fonts, so I don't see the problem under Windows either. Not to say you don't have a problem because you quite obviously do.
I will say that jumping into a forum and throwing a little tantrum because the software does not conform to your world view smacks of someone who went to one of those schools where they gave everyone ribbons for participating on sports day.
You are correct that there appears to be no easy way to change the display fonts in Zimbra. Zimbra desktop is the absolute best integrated client to use if you are using a Zimbra server (as I am), however if you are looking for a Swiss army knife desktop client for your ISP (or AOL) then you should probably look elsewhere (or learn to develop both manners and a clue).
Meenie

Postby Meenie » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:44 pm

I'm sorry if ya'll see it as a tantrum but when my emails start streaming in and I can't even tell what the subject is because the font is so tiny and so light, that doesn't give me much confidence in the program. And since there is no way to change it, I'll be deleting this program and finding one that actually works.

Apparently the "free" program is just a come-on if the only way you can actually see your email is to buy something.

Yep, you're right I was having a rough day when I downloaded a program and spent an hour trying to find a way to do something that should be so simple - making the font big enough to be usable... and then discovering there's no way to do that. It IS ridiculous.

Thank you Jenn, for attempting to help.

Thank you, Brad, for your gracious reply.
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:08 am

[quote user="Meenie"]Apparently the "free" program is just a come-on if the only way you can actually see your email is to buy something.[/quote]You're wrong here, the product is supplied free of charge without strings and it's not to tempt you to buy anything else. ;)
Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
918jjohnson
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Postby 918jjohnson » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:13 pm

[quote user="Meenie"]and then discovering there's no way to do that. It IS ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
Actually there is a way to do that, and I'm pretty sure I can tell you what happened to get to this state. Zimbra Desktop uses an embedded browser called Prism that's supplied by Mozilla. Since it's a browser, some of the shortcut keys for things like Zoom are still enabled, so what likely happened is that you hit a stray command key (like Ctrl+Minus) and it zoomed the screen down with no way to obviously fix it. The good news is that you can just as easily un-zoom it by using the command key Ctrl+0 to reset the default or Ctrl+= to increase the zoom. If you haven't already uninstalled, let us know if that worked.
Regards,

Josh
Meenie

Postby Meenie » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:04 am

Thank you for trying to help, Josh, I appreciate that nice voice in the storm.

I have uninstalled the program. However, the first thing I tried was Ctrl+ and nothing happened with that. Then tried looking through the menu for some way to change font size - nada. Also looked for any kind of zoom fx - nopers.

I've been told off by enough zimbra people though - apparently I have no business using zimbra for a pc email rather than a web... also not if I have no knowledge of programming. Perhaps zimbra should put a disclaimer on their dl page warning people that if they aren't tech wizards they might want to look elsewhere or face the disdain of zimbra users??

Shrugs. Whatever, this place is obviously not for me.
918jjohnson
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Postby 918jjohnson » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:52 am

[quote user="Meenie"]Thank you for trying to help, Josh, I appreciate that nice voice in the storm.

I have uninstalled the program. However, the first thing I tried was Ctrl+ and nothing happened with that. Then tried looking through the menu for some way to change font size - nada. Also looked for any kind of zoom fx - nopers.[/QUOTE]
Hmm. Then you have me stumped. I've never seen or heard of this happening where it isn't the zoom level of the Prism browser. :-(

[quote user="Meenie"]I've been told off by enough zimbra people though - apparently I have no business using zimbra for a pc email rather than a web... also not if I have no knowledge of programming. Perhaps zimbra should put a disclaimer on their dl page warning people that if they aren't tech wizards they might want to look elsewhere or face the disdain of zimbra users??

Shrugs. Whatever, this place is obviously not for me.[/QUOTE]
I'm sorry to hear that you or anyone here would feel this way. These forums are meant to be a place to support our users regardless of the product or user experience, and if that's not what's happening then we at Zimbra will take that feedback and see what we can do to improve it in the future.
Jack221144

Postby Jack221144 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:57 am

[quote user="Meenie"]Thank you for trying to help, Josh, I appreciate that nice voice in the storm.

I have uninstalled the program. However, the first thing I tried was Ctrl+ and nothing happened with that. Then tried looking through the menu for some way to change font size - nada. Also looked for any kind of zoom fx - nopers.

I've been told off by enough zimbra people though - apparently I have no business using zimbra for a pc email rather than a web... also not if I have no knowledge of programming. Perhaps zimbra should put a disclaimer on their dl page warning people that if they aren't tech wizards they might want to look elsewhere or face the disdain of zimbra users??

Shrugs. Whatever, this place is obviously not for me.[/QUOTE]
The browser zoom works for me on Mac and Windows.

Return to “General Questions”