Can't send/receive e-mail (or "finish the configuration of an half-installed Zimbra")

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
edmael

Can't send/receive e-mail (or "finish the configuration of an half-installed Zimbra")

Postby edmael » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:23 am

Hi everyone,

I have to deal with a mail server half-configured by a former colleague of mine.

He installed Zimbra on Ubuntu and did a basic configuration, but it seems that the mail won't work properly. If I try to send a mail (both to a "local" address or to an external one) I get a "4.3.0 temporary lookup failure" and I don't get how can I solve this issue. To test the configuration I tried with the webmail (where I get an error that tells me basically nothing) and with telnet+postifx (where I get the error above).

Is there anything I can try to make this works? I'm willing to provide any information/log that you need to help me.

Thanks in advance.

cayaraa
Outstanding Member
Outstanding Member
ZCS/ZD Version: ZCS 8.7 NE & ZCS 8.7 FOSS

Postby cayaraa » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:46 am

Thats not a whole lot to go on....

What version of zimbra is this (zmcontrol -v)?

Was it a fresh install or an upgrade?

Are all the services running (zmcontrol status)?

Are you seeing errors in /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log when you try to send an email?

Are you sure your /etc/hosts and dns are configured correctly? (This might help: https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Ajcody-Hostname-DNS#Actual_Hostname_And_DNS_Issues_Homepage)
edmael

Postby edmael » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:00 am

Thanks for your answer, here is some more information about this problem:

zmcontrol -v ~ Release 8.5.1.GA.3056.UBUNTU14.64 UBUNTU14_FOSS edition.

zmcontrol status ~ Everything is running (amavis, antispam, antivirus, ldap, logger, mailbox, mta, opendkim, service webapp, snmp, spell, stats, zimbra webapp, zimbraAdmin webapp, zimlet webapp, zmconfigd)

I see the "mail.SEND_FAILURE" error and a lot of (SomethingSomething.java:number) messages.

I ruled out the DNS problem because they *should* be okay, if I run hostname -f (or domainname -f) I get the address of Zimbra webmail (wich is mta.domain.com).
phoenix
Ambassador
Ambassador

Postby phoenix » Fri May 01, 2015 1:43 pm

You need to provide some confirmation that you DNS records and hosts/resolv files are correct. Go to the Split DNS wiki article and run all the command in the 'Verify....' section of that article and post the output here. You say that ZCS is "half installe", what makes you think that? Has this server ever worked for sending/receiving mail?

Regards

Bill

Rspamd: A high performance spamassassin replacement

Per ardua ad astra
edmael

Postby edmael » Fri May 08, 2015 1:56 am

Hi and thanks for your answer.

I managed to find the problem and solve it, it was simply a miswritten IP address.

Return to “Installation and Upgrade”