Calendars and Contacts only

Ask questions about your setup or get help installing ZCS server (ZD section below).
dhdh-hbhb

Calendars and Contacts only

Postby dhdh-hbhb » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:35 pm

Hi, noob question, is it possible to setup a Zimbra server (community version) to supply only calendars and contacts to Outlook clients, skipping the mail server piece altogether?

Thanks

DH

Gren Elliot
Zimbra Employee
Zimbra Employee

Re: Calendars and Contacts only

Postby Gren Elliot » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:20 am

I believe there are CardDAV and CalDAV connectors for Outlook, although I have no experience with them and knowledge of how good they are.
I'm not sure you could block access to the mail functionality, but configuring for CalDAV and CardDAV would be separate from the config for mail anyway.
On the other hand, if you're planning to schedule meetings, the Zimbra backend uses iMip messages and the CalDAV Scheduling Inbox is really a view onto the real mail inbox, so that functionality is unlikely to work correctly, as you would need real mail to go to the Zimbra inbox, whereas I'm guessing the mail account you are using with Outlook would be from another provider?
dhdh-hbhb

Re: Calendars and Contacts only

Postby dhdh-hbhb » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:30 pm

Yes correct 3rd party provider. Not an ideal solution at the moment but it is what I'm stuck with.

Thanks

DH

Gren Elliot wrote:I believe there are CardDAV and CalDAV connectors for Outlook, although I have no experience with them and knowledge of how good they are.
I'm not sure you could block access to the mail functionality, but configuring for CalDAV and CardDAV would be separate from the config for mail anyway.
On the other hand, if you're planning to schedule meetings, the Zimbra backend uses iMip messages and the CalDAV Scheduling Inbox is really a view onto the real mail inbox, so that functionality is unlikely to work correctly, as you would need real mail to go to the Zimbra inbox, whereas I'm guessing the mail account you are using with Outlook would be from another provider?

Return to “Installation and Upgrade”