Zimbra 8.6 and commercial certificate without the zmhostname

Discuss your pilot or production implementation with other Zimbra admins or our engineers.
Fabio S. Schmidt
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby Fabio S. Schmidt » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:16 pm

Hi,

I'm running a migration from a Zimbra 6 environment to a brand new 8.6.0 OSE installation.

I have noticed that on the current enviroment a certificate without the local server name (zmhostname) has been deployed.

I mean:

-  The current environment has 2 servers with the names zimbra01.mydomain.com and zimbra02.mydomain.com

- The current commercial certificate was generated only for the name webmail.mydomain.com which is the address informed to the users

My question here is: It would fail if I deploy this certificate on the new environment with Zimbra 8.6.0?

jorgedlcruz
Zimbra Alumni
Zimbra Alumni

Postby jorgedlcruz » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:12 pm

Hi Fabio,

Deploy the SSL Certificate will not fail, but I think that the SSL Certificate check when you will upgrade to 8.7 will contain a fail. You can buy a new wildcard, is the best option there *.mydomain.com. Is not soo expensive in namecheap.com

Best regards
Jorge de la Cruz https://jorgedelacruz.es
Systems Engineer at Veeam Software https://www.veeam.com/
Fabio S. Schmidt
Advanced member
Advanced member

Postby Fabio S. Schmidt » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:21 pm

Hi Jorge,

Thanks for the clarification. I will explain it to the customer and I hope they buy a new certificate with wildcard or at least with the alternative names for the servers real names.

Return to “Administrators”