Thread: Error with Relay after changing Appliance network

Default Error with Relay after changing Appliance network

I have a Zimbra appliance I was configuring for a client. I build the server in my workshop network 192.168.0.0/24 and then took the VM after configuration to the clients, whose network was 192.168.1.0/24

I changed the IP address of the appliance and was able to manage it after restarting, but I was unable to relay mail through it anymore.
    The postfix mynetworks command sill only showed "127.0.0.0/8 192.168.0.0/24" (note this was after doing a password reset on the "zimbra" user to enable me to run a console with enough access - it was not using the admin password I set with the initial install - login using su - zimbra at the console was failing when logging in as vmware) which I have now found has broken most of the services 8(

Anyway, how are you supposed to change the network the appliance is in without a full reinstall?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mista2 View Post
    Anyway, how are you supposed to change the network the appliance is in without a full reinstall?
    Change it via the cli just as you can on any version of Zimbra, search the wiki (link at to top of this page) for "mynetworks".
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default Loggin On console on VM Appliance

I was able to get to the command line:
    Console on appliance - login - username: vmware and password set during install. Then when switching user to zimbra:
    $su - zimbra

password was not the admin password set during install, could not find any indication in the setup guide or admin guide what the password should be.
    Found post on forum how to change zimbra password.

$sudo passwd zimbra

I set the password and was able to switch user and check the postfix config, confirming the new subnet was not allowed to relay, but changing the password seemed to break the appliance - LDAP errors, script errors on the web page etc. As I was on the clock for the client - decided reinstall was faster than trying to troubleshoot any more. So I reinstalled from .ova template. 8( Just wanting to know for future reference - and also why changing the appliance IP address on the console didn't update the allowed relay networks list?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mista2 View Post
    Just wanting to know for future reference - and also why changing the appliance IP address on the console didn't update the allowed relay networks list?
    For the simple reason that the Trusted Networks is set during the install, any modification to hat is done via the command line or Admin UI where applicable. Changing the IP address of the appliance does nothing other than change the IP address for the network adapter.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.