Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appliance 7 GM?

Hybrid View

Exclamation Appliance 7 GM?

Hi

The appliance has been in beta for a long time. When can we expect the final version to be released?

Thanks

P.S. I have looked at pm.zimbra.com, but haven't found anything.

I would like to know too please - I've emailed vmware people but everyone is ignoring....perhaps no-one knows...

We just bought ZCA and have been hounding them to find out when 7 is coming so I don't to install 6 then do a migration a month later. I have to say Zimbra inside sales have been awful to work with. Almost wish I bought Kerio instead. They at least gave answers and called back when they said they would.

I too have been trying to get some sort of time frame for when ZCA 7.0 will be released.

The only info I have received is to upgrade to vSphere 5.0 "...as the next release of ZCA will be designed to integrate with ease."

Unhappy

...does that imply that it won't run well on/integrate well with vSphere 4?

You'd assume not, but being that vSphere 5 has only just been released and most users are unlikely to have it in production before the end of the year.

So, might that suggest that ZCA v7 is so delayed that you're best not considering it likely to appear until late 2011 / early 2012, and to worry about upgrading your infrastructure 1st.

I'd hope not - its been far too long already.

I hope not. Our purchase was partially predicated on the features that are coming in v7. We discussed this at length. For them to pull that after everything would be quite dirty.

BTW...I was told that their will be no upgrade from v6 to v7. It would have to be a migration.

Default Not sure if Zimbra has a future at VMware

VMware's main intention in buying Zimbra was to offer an alternative to MS dominant Exchange solution in the collaboration market. The sites running Exchange are run by admins that usually have little to no knowledge to administrate Linux, at least not as much as needed to run one of their major applications. TMHO, non of these admins is not going to even touch a Linux media for this purpose. The only way to get these people to think about a solution for this purpose which is not running under windows or even try it, is a working, up to date appliance. Version 7 of ZCS has been out for 5 months (!) now and it wouldn't take a trainee in his first year more than 2 o3 days to build an appliance. Just kidding, but the effort is very limited and testing also is a fraction of the effort of maintaining maintenance for a bunch of distros on a unlimited variation of hardware.

I only can come to the conclusion that VMware is not really interested in Zimbra (otherwise we would see a up to date appliance) and Zimbra is not really interested in VMware's majority of customers and prefers to stick with their provider customer base. The lack of response from VMware when asking them about Zimbra points into the same direction. We have a large commercial VMware customer base, but for me the future of Zimbra is much to uncertain to really promote the solution to our customers. I was very excited about VMware's acquisition of Zimbra as I see a large potential for something like this, but only as a fully supported part of the VMware portfolio.

Just my 5 cent, and looking for an alternative...

__Leo

Is the appliance GM coming out in 2011?

Default Appliance 7

Hi guys, rather than opening a new thread, I searched high and low but am unable to find anything other than questions on this ............

So the preview was in August last year, I have downloaded and am using the latest trial beta, when oh when will there be a production release?

Event Information: Sneak Preview - VMware Zimbra 7 Appliance

English : Perth Time

Event status: Event has passed
    Date and time: Thursday, 18 August 2011 1:00 am
    Australia Western Time (Perth, GMT+08:00)

I cant even find a recording of the above webinar.
    Hope someone can answer, thanks.