Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network edition support over KVM

Default Network edition support over KVM

Hi,

I'd like to confirm that Zimbra is giving support to Network edition instalations on KVM (specially Proxmox). I'm about to buy the license but I need to run it in a virtualized environment with KVM.
    Regards,

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jplorier View Post
    I'd like to confirm that Zimbra is giving support to Network edition instalations on KVM (specially Proxmox).
    The answer to that is no, it's not supported. You can always confirm the supported platforms in the product documentation or with Zimbra Support, as a trial user you should have access to support.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default KVM Support

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    The answer to that is no, it's not supported. You can always confirm the supported platforms in the product documentation or with Zimbra Support, as a trial user you should have access to support.
    Hi phoenix,

As far as I could find prior to posting in the forum, it only says about OS support, not virtualization plataform. Anyway, the link you provided is back to 2011-07-06 for zimbra , are there no plans at all to support KVM?.
    As you know Red Hat themselves moved from Xen to KVM and it has evolved very raplidly in the last two years, so one year in a very long time in this matters.
    Regards,

Been running 2x Zimbra installs (Ubuntu 10.04) on Proxmox in kvm for over a year now, runs fine, why wouldnt it? To the software its just like any "real" machine.

Anyway, the link you provided is back to 2011-07-06 for zimbra , are there no plans at all to support KVM?.
    As far as I know that bug report is still open because the problem with jython is not resolved, I will add however that I'm (obviously) not a developer and you could always verify that with support.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaroze View Post
    Been running 2x Zimbra installs (Ubuntu 10.04) on Proxmox in kvm for over a year now, runs fine, why wouldnt it? To the software its just like any "real" machine.
    It doesn't matter whether it works or not, it is an unsupported platform for an NE customer as Zimbra has not been verified to work in that environment and using it will invalidate their support for the product.
    Regards

Bill

HI guys,

Thanks for the help, but this is not leading me anywhere useful. I can't get zimbra support as I haven't yet brought the zimbra ne and that's why I'm posting in the forums, not in a support ticket.
    Yaroze: thanks for your info, I'm quite sure it may work just fine, the thing is that I pay for a supported version and then I don't get support because it's not in a supported virtual environment, then why paying at first?. In the other hand, I do need features in the ne edition, so this is a chicken and egg problem.
    Phoenix: As you are from Zimbra, can you get any extra info on this matter. It's a really big deal to us as our budget can't cover both Zimbra and VMWare virtualization (I'm talking vsphere)
    Regards

Thanks for the help, but this is not leading me anywhere useful.
    It is, KVM is not a supported platform (it never has been) - that's a definitive answer. If you want the 'official' answer the see my reply to your next comment.

I can't get zimbra support as I haven't yet brought the zimbra ne and that's why I'm posting in the forums, not in a support ticket.
    The Network Edition trial includes support from Zimbra, are you running the trial version? If you are then raise a support ticket.
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    It is, KVM is not a supported platform (it never has been) - that's a definitive answer. If you want the 'official' answer the see my reply to your next comment.

The Network Edition trial includes support from Zimbra, are you running the trial version? If you are then raise a support ticket.
    Great Bill, that's what I needed to know. I will get another trial (as mine is overtime) and rise the support ticket.
    Regards,

Great Bill, that's what I needed to know. I will get another trial (as mine is overtime) and rise the support ticket.
    Regards,
    It seems the issue reported in Bug #43696

Bug 43696 – KVM Support

it's already solved.

from the thread where the issue is discussed:

jython-users - KVM incompatibility with jython?

"
    It appears this is because they mounted /tmp noexec, so it is not a KVM
    issue at all.

Thanks very much!

--Quanah

"

Default News on Zimbra NE supported in KVM?

Now that Zimbra is no longer owned by VMWare, I think I may be supported others virtualization :-) (by the way, I won't spend one ticket in this question, that's why I post again in the forum).
    Is there a support matrix as in other software so I can just check that?
    Regards,