Thread: Address Book Lookups with External GAL

Hybrid View

Default Address Book Lookups with External GAL

Things have been working very well for the past week since things have been setup. One thing that I would like to have working though is the lookup feature from the Address Book on a Blackberry Device.

If you do a search currently it will simply find the users Full Name and email address. We have Zimbra configured with an external GAL though that contains all our users phone numbers, addresses, etc.

Is this something to configure inside BES, ZCB, or is it not available yet. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

Zimbra GAL entries are viewed by clients as Zimbra contact objects. You can define which LDAP attributes map to which contact attributes. As long as the LDAP attributes are mapped to the correct contact fields, everything should work. There are some more details here:

GAL Attribute Mapping - Zimbra :: Wiki

If you do a GAL search from the Zimbra Web Client, do you the other fields display (phone, address, etc)?
    Sam Khavari

:: :: [ Zimbra ] :: :: [ Bugzilla ] :: :: [ Product Portal ] :: :: [ Wiki ] :: :: [ Downloads ] :: :: [ . ] ::

OK, the default map brings everything up in Outlook except mobile phone (which I added).

However, none of this shows up when searching from the device. The BB PIN shows up, so it makes me think this is something that needs to be configured on the BES server - either in BES itself or ZCB.

Any other ideas?
    John

if you have reconfigured the GAL since you brought up BES, you'll need to resync the GAL to the BES machine. Stop all the BES services and shutdown the BES manager. Open outlook and make sure you are logged on to the BlackBerryServer profile, select tools->send/receive->update global address list.

When it finishes, open the address book in outlook, select GAL and verify the values you want to show up in fact do show up. After you verify, shutdown outlook and restart the BES services (make sure Outlook.exe isn't in the task manager before you start the BES controller).

File an RFE in bugzilla so we can provide you an easier mechanishm to update the GAL while BES is running.
    Sam Khavari

:: :: [ Zimbra ] :: :: [ Bugzilla ] :: :: [ Product Portal ] :: :: [ Wiki ] :: :: [ Downloads ] :: :: [ . ] ::

The BES Admin tool does see all my contacts from the GAL. I can even select a contact and click view | properties and it shows me the mailing address, work phone, title, etc.

Is this not what you're after with the suggestion above? None of this information shows up on the device when doing and address book lookup.

John

OK, everyone shows up in the BlackberryManager account. The only people showing up under BlackberryServer are people that have been added after BES was setup. Running the update of the GAL doesn't bring everyone in.

Is there a way to completely remove that GAL and have it grab a fresh copy?

Thanks,
    John