Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Can not activate a blackberry handheld.

Unhappy [SOLVED] Can not activate a blackberry handheld.

I installed ZCB and can see GAL in BlackBerry Manager. I added a Zimbra user into BES and set an activation password for it. I did "Options -> Advanced Options -> Enterprise Activation" on my handheld, typed in email account and activation password. Then I did activate. The handheld shows "Activating ..." I noticed an activation email arrived in my inbox. But it has been quite a while. nothing happened so far.

Quote Originally Posted by kwang View Post
    I installed ZCB and can see GAL in BlackBerry Manager. I added a Zimbra user into BES and set an activation password for it. I did "Options -> Advanced Options -> Enterprise Activation" on my handheld, typed in email account and activation password. Then I did activate. The handheld shows "Activating ..." I noticed an activation email arrived in my inbox. But it has been quite a while. nothing happened so far.
    try to do a "Reload User" many times on the BES server..
    i've solved this fu*k'd with this trick problem without restart anytime my BES server
    Last edited by stich86; 04-29-2008 at 02:31 PM.

Default Can not reload the user

I tried to reload the user many times. I received the error message as shown in the attachment. Is this because I did not wait long enough?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does the device that you are trying to activate have the BES service enabled at the carrier? That is the problem 90% of the time that this happens.
    You might want to call the carrier and make sure that they understand that you want the device to talk to BES....not BIS and not only data.

If this is not the problems....I highly recommend enabling ZCB logging and send those logs and the BES agent logs to support to analyze.

Quote Originally Posted by alee View Post
    Does the device that you are trying to activate have the BES service enabled at the carrier? That is the problem 90% of the time that this happens.
    You might want to call the carrier and make sure that they understand that you want the device to talk to BES....not BIS and not only data.

If this is not the problems....I highly recommend enabling ZCB logging and send those logs and the BES agent logs to support to analyze.
    The device is provisioned by the carrier to be able to connect to an external BES server. I just managed to connect it to another BES server which connects to the Exchange Environment.

I enabled logging and re-did a test. The error message I received from the handheld is "The server is not responding. Please contact your System Administrator.". I attached the log file here.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kwang; 04-30-2008 at 09:33 AM.

The device is provisioned by the carrier to be able to connect to an external BES server. I just managed to connect it to another BES server which connects to the Exchange Environment.

I enabled logging and re-did a test. The error message I received from the handheld is "The server is not responding. Please contact your System Administrator.". I attached the log file here.
    please attach the logs with "BlackBerryAgent" in the filename. the file that you attached was the BlackBerry Manager's file.
    if the ZCB agent logs are not being generated then the controller service might not be running. also is the dispatcher service running?
    please also send the BES agent logs from the RIM log folder. it is the file with "MAGT" in the filename.

also remember that is easier to sift though the logs if you stop everything, clear out the logs, restart the service, try to activate the device and then zip everything up and send it out.

Have you made sure the user is properly initialized in the BES? The logs for BES are in the logs directory under the Research in Motion\Blackberry Enterprise Server directory in Program Files by default. Look for the ALRT log file. At the bottom of the file, watch for lines like "User <username> not started". We get that error quite a bit when adding users. Most of the time you just have to delete the user, restart the BES services, and add the user again.

Uploaded both the ZCB log and BES logs.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uploaded both the ZCB log and BES logs.
    log files were not what i was expecting.
    in the RIM log folders look for a file with MAGT in the filename...not MDAT.
    also i need to see the Zimbra log files that look like zco*BlackBerryAgent*
    when you try to activate the device, does the user receive an email that looks autogenerated from RIM? is that email just sitting in the inbox?
    are there any mail filters that could potentially be junking these email messages or moving them to another folder?
    device activation replies on being able to send email back and forth from the mailbox on the server to the device.

I have enabled everything in ZCOLogCtl.exe. I rebooted the machine a few times. I could not find zco*BlackBerryAgent* file. Also I zipped the whole bes log directory for today. I really could not find the MAGT files. I can receive the RIM message as shown in the last picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images