Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Duplicate Address Book Entries

Default [SOLVED] Duplicate Address Book Entries

I had a user's BB show up with duplicate address book entries. I ran the BB procedure using the Desktop Manager to clear the address book, resync'd, duplicates were still there. Next I wiped the BB via the 10 wrong passwords method, resync'd, duplicates were still there. Finally I wiped the BB again, via the 10 password method, deleted/readded the user account from the BES (choosing the delete mail info option), resync'd, no more duplicates.

Can anyone provide some insight into what the actual problem is? Is this a ZCB bug?

Quote Originally Posted by kbigger View Post
    I had a user's BB show up with duplicate address book entries. I ran the BB procedure using the Desktop Manager to clear the address book, resync'd, duplicates were still there. Next I wiped the BB via the 10 wrong passwords method, resync'd, duplicates were still there. Finally I wiped the BB again, via the 10 password method, deleted/readded the user account from the BES (choosing the delete mail info option), resync'd, no more duplicates.

Can anyone provide some insight into what the actual problem is? Is this a ZCB bug?

i wonder if this is a problem with using the desktop manager and BES at the same time? are the dupes on the server (i.e. can you see them on the Zimbra Web Client?) or are they only local to the device?

if the dupes are making it to the server...it is most likely a ZCB issue.

have you search the RIM forums to see if there is a known issue about this?

Thanks.
    --Tony

I searched the RIM forums before coming here. No joy.

And the dupes never made it to the zimbra server.

Can you clarify what you mean by "using the desktop manager and BES at the same time"? The desktop manager required turning off address book wireless sync before one can back up the address book. And I wasn't using DM to restore the address book, only to delete it on the chance that I wouldn't have to completely wipe and OTA the device. But that also didn't work.

Even after device wipe/OTA activation the dupes still appeared. It was only after deleting/readding the user on the BES and then wipe/OTA activation did the dupes go away. It was the potential of deleting/readding the user on the BES having solved the problem that got me wondering if the ZCB was having an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by kbigger View Post
    I searched the RIM forums before coming here. No joy.

And the dupes never made it to the zimbra server.

Can you clarify what you mean by "using the desktop manager and BES at the same time"? The desktop manager required turning off address book wireless sync before one can back up the address book. And I wasn't using DM to restore the address book, only to delete it on the chance that I wouldn't have to completely wipe and OTA the device. But that also didn't work.

Even after device wipe/OTA activation the dupes still appeared. It was only after deleting/readding the user on the BES and then wipe/OTA activation did the dupes go away. It was the potential of deleting/readding the user on the BES having solved the problem that got me wondering if the ZCB was having an issue.
    if the dupes never made it to the server, then its hard to say if the problem is with ZCB or just BES. i've seen dupes for a couple of appts once and that was because BES was a bit wedged and not functioning properly when the new appt arrived. the dupes were not on the server and they went away after a couple of days.

BES has an idea of what items should be on the device. if, for some reason, this "state" is not correct, then it would require deleting/adding the user. its possible that somehow BES things that there are 2 individual items but are actually pointing to the same item in the mail store.

without logs (ZCB and BES) its hard to say what happened.

Sounds like a version of the calendar issue I was having with duplicate calendars appear on the device, I've now resolved that one with a firmware update, however I now get duplicate address books (5 so far) This only seems to impact devices running 4.5.0.37

All really very tedious

Quote Originally Posted by davidfsmith View Post
    Sounds like a version of the calendar issue I was having with duplicate calendars appear on the device, I've now resolved that one with a firmware update, however I now get duplicate address books (5 so far) This only seems to impact devices running 4.5.0.37

All really very tedious
    Have since wiped and re-activated this device and the others affected, seems to have resolved the issue

Quote Originally Posted by davidfsmith View Post
    Have since wiped and re-activated this device and the others affected, seems to have resolved the issue
    i still get the same problem..
    with devices that running 4.5.0.55 OS (TIM Italy), i got 5+ desktop addressbook..

i've already wiped the PDA, but still get this noise problem

Looks like 4.5.07 isn't immune either, the problem is back...

I have this same problem across our install base - multiple blackberries all running various versions of 4.5. Still exists in Beta 3 of the BES connector.

Quote Originally Posted by SMachiz View Post
    I have this same problem across our install base - multiple blackberries all running various versions of 4.5. Still exists in Beta 3 of the BES connector.
    can you guys upgrade to 4.1.6 of BES? i've been told there there are some rescan algorithms built into that release that tries to reconcile the duplicates.