Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple BES on single ZCS server

Default Multiple BES on single ZCS server

Hi guys

I need to migrate user to a new BES server (already installer 4.1 SP6 with ZCB Beta 3 connector and different SRP), because the migration instrucions of RIM doesn't work, I want to start all from scrach.. but with a little exception.

Today morning, i've updated ZCS to 5.0.9 (we went from 5.0.5), now I've to configure the ZCB B3 connector on the new BES machine to point at our ZCS server.. after that, I want to delete single user from the old BES (with another SRP) and reactivate with the new one, is that possible?

If I use this method I can test with my own BB the functionaly of new server without create down time for other users.

Thanks in advance for any reply!

Cheers,
    stich86
    Last edited by stich86; 08-24-2008 at 05:17 AM.

ok.. i've tryed this and WORKS!

but, with the new BES setted on my BB i've encountered in a little problem with calendar..

i haven't got old appointment from my zimbra, and the sync between BB and server is little strange..

when i delete an appointment from BB, in zimbra it doens't delete and reappear on BB

any help?!?
    Last edited by stich86; 08-24-2008 at 10:40 AM.

CalICSSynchronizer::Initialize - OpenProperty failed: (0x80004002)
    [30000] (08/24 19:38:12.358):{0x748} Alarm::ThreadProc: Received an alarm message
    [30000] (08/24 19:38:12.374):{0x838} [Alarm::ActivateAlarm] Queuing alarm: <N/A> | BlackBerry Messaging Agent BES01 Agent 1 (Application Event Log on BES01) | 08/24/2008 19:38:12 (AFFF4E49) -> CalICSAgent::Start Could not Initialize Synchronizer for n.nnnn@mydomain.net: (0x80004002)
    [30000] (08/24 19:38:12.374):{0x748} Alarm::ThreadProc: Received an alarm message
    [30000] (08/24 19:38:12.374):{0x838} [Alarm::ActivateAlarm] Queuing alarm: <N/A> | BlackBerry Messaging Agent BES01 Agent 1 (Application Event Log on BES01) | 08/24/2008 19:38:12 (AFFF4F38) -> {n.nnnn@mydomain.net} DoICS() failed: ERR_FAIL
    [30000] (08/24 19:38:12.374):{0x748} Alarm::ThreadProc: Received an alarm message
    [30000] (08/24 19:38:17.358):{0x838} EventLog::ThreadProc: Received notification, processing...
    ok.. check the log of BES, i've seen a lot of this error..

what does it means?

Quote Originally Posted by stich86 View Post
    ok.. check the log of BES, i've seen a lot of this error..

what does it means?
    doesn't mean anything. the logs give you some false positives because we do things a bit differently under the scenes.

there are some known issues with calendar. i think that bes 4.1.6 (is this what you are using) has some rescan algorithms to figure out out-of-sync calendars.

another thing that you can do is try to capture the zcb logs during a sync and ship them off to support to see what happened?

does this happen for a specific set of users? i.e. if you try to wipe and reactivate does it still not show the calendar? or does it seem to depend on what else is going on when you activate the device.

one other thing you may want to try is to add and activate one device at a time to see if it helps the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by alee View Post
    doesn't mean anything. the logs give you some false positives because we do things a bit differently under the scenes.

there are some known issues with calendar. i think that bes 4.1.6 (is this what you are using) has some rescan algorithms to figure out out-of-sync calendars.

another thing that you can do is try to capture the zcb logs during a sync and ship them off to support to see what happened?

does this happen for a specific set of users? i.e. if you try to wipe and reactivate does it still not show the calendar? or does it seem to depend on what else is going on when you activate the device.

one other thing you may want to try is to add and activate one device at a time to see if it helps the issue.
    i've already wiped the device, and the calendar still blank, i've also activate only my device..

seems also that the funcion "calendar sync" of BES 4.1.6 doesn't work, i still no get older appointment

i've already wiped the device, and the calendar still blank, i've also activate only my device..

seems also that the funcion "calendar sync" of BES 4.1.6 doesn't work, i still no get older appointment
    as of BETA 3, we instrument a calendar cut off. so any appts that are older than 2 days (this can be modified in the registry, read the docs), will not sync unless it is a recurring appt that has future instances.

does this apply to the situation that you are seeing?

as of BETA 3, we instrument a calendar cut off. so any appts that are older than 2 days (this can be modified in the registry, read the docs), will not sync unless it is a recurring appt that has future instances.

does this apply to the situation that you are seeing?
    ok.. now is clear.. and yes, can be apply to this situation
    is it possibile to set UNLIMITED?
    it's not for me, but i've some users that want all their appointment on the BB

i've also noted, with the new beta, that after every restart of BES now on my BB with OS 4.5 i never re-get duplicate address book

EDIT: i saw the doc.. in which format are the DWORD key? minute, hours, seconds? now is setted at 30 for MaxAge, and 2 for InitialAge
    EDIT2: ok, are in days... the same setting is used on BETA2, but i think that it's only applied to mail.. this not a good choice to use one setting for calendar and mails, because there are some user that after a wipe want all calendar appt
    Last edited by stich86; 08-25-2008 at 02:52 PM.

ok.. now is clear.. and yes, can be apply to this situation
    is it possibile to set UNLIMITED?
    it's not for me, but i've some users that want all their appointment on the BB

i've also noted, with the new beta, that after every restart of BES now on my BB with OS 4.5 i never re-get duplicate address book

EDIT: i saw the doc.. in which format are the DWORD key? minute, hours, seconds? now is setted at 30 for MaxAge, and 2 for InitialAge
    EDIT2: ok, are in days... the same setting is used on BETA2, but i think that it's only applied to mail.. this not a good choice to use one setting for calendar and mails, because there are some user that after a wipe want all calendar appt

yes. set \\HKLM\Software\Zimbra\MaxInitialAge to 0

this will affect mail and calendar. when it is set to the default value of 2, this means that only mail newer than 2 days or appts that have instances newer than 2 days ago will get synced to the local cache and will be pushed to the user's device on activation. this will affect all newly added users and if a user has already been provisioned, their account must be deleted and readded to BES and they must wipe and reactivate their device.

yes. set \\HKLM\Software\Zimbra\MaxInitialAge to 0

this will affect mail and calendar. when it is set to the default value of 2, this means that only mail newer than 2 days or appts that have instances newer than 2 days ago will get synced to the local cache and will be pushed to the user's device on activation. this will affect all newly added users and if a user has already been provisioned, their account must be deleted and readded to BES and they must wipe and reactivate their device.
    ok.. but with unlimited, everytime i'm provisioning new BB i'll get all the mail on mailboxs?

ok.. but with unlimited, everytime i'm provisioning new BB i'll get all the mail on mailboxs?
    well, all the data in the mailbox will be synced to the local cache via ZCB, then you have server and device settings that dictate how much actually gets on the device. syncing everything to the local cache will slow down the activation process per user and that is why we set the default value for MaxInitialAge. if you are not provisioning a large number of users, then it should be fine. note that even if you set MaxInitialAge to 0, there is another registry key that dictates the oldest message that will stay in your local cache for ZCB. if you have this set to like 30 days, ZCB will periodically reap older messages out of the local cache. right now this is only for email and no calendar, contacts or tasks will be reaped. here is that key:

\\HKLM\Software\Zimbra\MaxEmailAge